Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3474 days ago

68 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Icelandic, Korean, Polish

Message 1 of 5
01 October 2015 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
I've had a special place in my heart for Dutch since 2009, when I decided to seriously learn
a language after several failed childhood attempts at Japanese, Russian, and French. I was
eighteen at the time, and I used one of the older Teach Yourself books. I found a Dutch copy
of Le petit prince in a local library. I watched Spongebob Squarepants on Dutch Nickelodeon.
But then my university semester picked up and I abandoned Dutch. I took up French a couple
months later when I decided to transfer into a language program, but Dutch has still held my
fancy for quite awhile.

Two years ago, I spent a somewhat significant time on Dutch. I had about 450 sentence cards
on Anki, but my vocabulary was still weak, and I didn't really reach a high-intermediate
level in the language. Then I received a bunch of Japanese books for Christmas that year and
tossed Dutch out the window in favor of Japanese :) I decided I had dabbled enough in Dutch
to satisfy whatever curiosity I had, and that I would move on to greener pastures. That, of
course, is my common excuse for wanderlust, but whatever.

All that to say, I've decided to make another earnest attempt at Dutch! I've been doing my
usual methods of Anki sentences + plenty of radio listening. I hope to be at a high
intermediate level by the end of the year, at which point, I'll decide whether to continue
or not. I would like to largely understand radio programs, cartoons, and news and Wikipedia
articles. I've been surprising myself at how much I remember from my previous studies, and
Dutch feels like a language I half know. Anyways, I'll post my progress on here to keep
track of it and to see whether my goals are reasonable or not!
4 persons have voted this message useful

Theodisce
Octoglot
Poland
Joined 5684 days ago

127 posts - 167 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian, Czech, French, English, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Slovak, Ukrainian, Serbo-Croatian, Greek, Portuguese

Message 2 of 5
01 October 2015 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
I'll be very interested in observing your progress. My Dutch allows me to understand the overall meaning of the most Wikipedia articles. However, the audio stuff (aside from children's material) continues to cause a lot of pain.

Could you tell me how many hours have you already devoted to the study of Dutch? Are you going to write down the number of hours of study?
1 person has voted this message useful

solocricket
Tetraglot
Groupie
Joined 3474 days ago

68 posts - 106 votes 

Message 3 of 5
02 October 2015 at 7:54am | IP Logged 
I probably spent about half an hour a day focused on Dutch from September through December
2013, so that would only be about 60-ish hours; however, I did do a lot of passive and active
listening during that time, which I can't estimate. I think the amount of listening really
helped lay a foundation. I'll try to keep track of hours of study here, but to be honest, it's
never been my style, so it's always a little inaccurate.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 5
02 October 2015 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
Aww great! I'm not that serious about Dutch yet but I'm hoping to give it more attention next year :) Do you know http://lyricstraining.com/? :)

Also, most HTLAL'ers are now at http://forum.language-learners.org :) There's a Dutch thread there (and I keep meaning to ask which resources tommus' signature refers to :))
3 persons have voted this message useful

solocricket
Tetraglot
Groupie
Joined 3474 days ago

68 posts - 106 votes 

Message 5 of 5
02 October 2015 at 6:21pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Serpent! I haven't used lyricstraining.com yet, but I'll check it out! And thanks for
the note about the new website. I saw that a lot of people had moved but was confused on how
things were working!

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version