Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5364 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 9 of 14
13 October 2015 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
The Paul Noble course and the Michael Thomas 'Advanced' course (although its not really
advanced - it covers GCSE material) will give you a good grammatical overview that will
hold you in good stead, but I doubt you could get past CEFR A1 with those courses.

A quick count at the back of Magrigal's Magic Key shows me it teaches about 1750 words
- which is a good base and you should certainly stick with it.

I am not sure if you have used Assmil for other languages, but it is essentially a
guided parallel text method with grammar notes. In my view the current Assimil German
course (German - With Ease Series) would propel you forward far more than non-guided
parallel texts in the first instance and give you enough vocabulary, modern idiom and
language to move on to the higher A2-B1 range. I 'finished' Assimil New French with
Ease a good few years ago and still find reviewing it rewarding.

Of course, there will be many who disagree with me :-)

2 persons have voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3851 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 10 of 14
13 October 2015 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:
Of course, there will be many who disagree with me :-)
Disagree? On the contrary!

Edited by Speakeasy on 13 October 2015 at 11:34pm

1 person has voted this message useful

rmel
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4040 days ago

20 posts - 24 votes
Studies: French, Russian

Message 11 of 14
17 October 2015 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
Have never tried Assimil checked out their website and they have texts in French and German as well as English and German so I could practice French and improve my German at the same time.

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5364 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 12 of 14
17 October 2015 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
Good strategy - I do exactly that.

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3851 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 13 of 14
17 October 2015 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
As it turns out, there is a recently-opened discussion thread on L2-L3 learning on the "New" HTLAL Forum.

Although a few of my Assimil courses are in English, most of them (German, Italian, Spanish, Polish, Russian, Dutch) are in French. However, I have the advantage of having worked in French for more than 25 years and, as a result, studying from a French base has become somewhat "second nature" for me. I have also studied Assimil Italian from a German base and, even though my German is somewhere around B2, I found the L2-L3 approach to be somewhat taxing.

I have also noticed that the Assimil "notes" are not the same in the English, French, and German editions. That is, while there are, indeed, common elements to the notes, they tend to emphasize some different points as well. When you think about it, this probably makes a lot of sense as, from the point of view of the "base language", some issues are so obvious as to not worth mentioning whereas other issues need to be emphasized.

Edited by Speakeasy on 18 October 2015 at 12:44am

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6708 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 14
18 October 2015 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
Speakeasy wrote:
I have also noticed that the Assimil "notes" are not the same in the English, French, and German editions. That is, while there are, indeed, common elements to the notes, they tend to emphasize some different points as well. When you think about it, this probably makes a lot of sense as, from the point of view of the "base language", some issues are so obvious as to not worth mentioning whereas other issues need to be emphasized.

This makes sense. No need to explain transparent vocabulary or grammar points.

This made me think of easy readers. Nearly everyone I've seen has had English as the "L1", i.e. supposed difficult words in the text are translated to (or explained in) English. I've even seen the German word Hund get translated to dog, while I already know that it's hund in Swedish.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version