Spain
Joined 6391 days ago

194 posts - 258 votes 
Speaks: Afrikaans, English*, Gypsy/Romani, Dutch
Studies: Spanish, Flemish, Galician, Aramaic

Message 1 of 4
08 October 2015 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
In case you haven't seen yet, Assimil have 20% off their
language learning packs (with discount code pack-20). :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

tesse
Canada
Joined 3227 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Studies: French, Italian, Mandarin

Message 2 of 4
19 November 2015 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
Other than amazon where can the Assimil courses be purchased? Looking for Us or Canadian retailers.
Thank you.
1 person has voted this message useful

russty1
United States
Joined 3299 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes
Studies: French

Message 3 of 4
19 November 2015 at 2:44am | IP Logged 
Schoenhof's Foreign Books has a number of Assimil courses, some in English, a lot in French, some in Spanish.
Language Quest also carries Assimil.
1 person has voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3851 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 4 of 4
19 November 2015 at 6:21am | IP Logged 
@tesse:

Indigo
I am under the impression that the largest online bookseller in Canada is Indigo (formerly Indigo-Chapters) They have a large selection of Assimil language courses.

Librairie Michel Fortin (Montréal)
The Librairie Michel Fortin bookstore, located in Montréal, sells only language-study materials. Although they do not sell online, you can contact them by telephone or Email and they would be pleased to accept your order for Assimil and discuss alternatives.

Local Booksellers in Your Area
Even if your local bookseller does not have a range of Assimil language courses, from my experience, they would be pleased to order whatever you want and you might even benefit from a slight price reduction given that they would not have to stock the item.

Speciality Language Bookstores in Canada
I assume that there are speciality language bookstores in Canada other than the Librairie Michel Fortin. Unfortunately, I cannot provide you with a list and my simple Google Search yielded only general results. Still, I’d bet my bottom dollar that there is at least one such store in the greater Toronto area.

Amazon, AbeBooks, Alibris, Barnes & Noble, et al
All of the he “big box” online booksellers offer Assimil language courses. The only downside with ordering from the U.S. is the current weakness of the Canadian dollar, coupled with a pretty stiff shipping charge. However, you can avoid these charges by ordering via their Canadian online stores such as Amazon.CA, AbeBooks.COM/Canada, etcetera.

Online Speciality Language Bookstores in the U.S.A.
While the “big box” online booksellers are slowly driving the speciality online language materials retailers out of business, a few are still operating. I doubt that anyone could provide an exhaustive list; so, here is my own:

Language Quest
General retailer of language materials.

Multilingual Books

Schoenhof's Foreign Books

Spoken Language Services
NOT a general retailer of language materials. This company offers some of the language courses that were developed in the period just after WWII. Some of the materials are still of current value, whereas others are of historical interest only.

Tower Books

Separate Discussion Thread(s), G-Searches, and the “other” Language Forum
I notice that you are relatively new to the HTLAL Forum and that you have indicated that you are studying French, Mandarin, and Italian, all of which are fairly popular and for which there are ample materials available for independent learners. If you are already satisfied with the materials that you currently have and you feel that your study plan can realistically take you to the level of language skill that you would like to attain, then you might not feel the need to ask for additional advice. Otherwise, you might wish to post a new, separate discussion thread wherein you would describe the materials you have at hand, your study plan, your goals, and ask for advice. Since the languages you are studying are quite popular, be prepared for “too much” advice! While you could also conduct a “G-Search” of this Forum using the names of your preferred languages as search criteria, unfortunately, the search will yield “too many” discussion threads. In that case, I suggest that you concentrate on the “Profile” for each of the three languages that interest you. Finally, owing to the long-term difficulties of providing technical and administrative support to this Forum, recently, a new, separate website has been launched where many of the “more active” members have registered thereby causing a decline in the online activity here. You might be interested in registering in the “new” language forum, as well. Here’s the link: A Language Learners' Forum

FSI Language Courses
Although it would be part of a separate discussion, in the off chance that you are not aware of this database, here is the link: FSI Language Courses

Ciao for now!

Edited by Speakeasy on 19 November 2015 at 6:03pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version