United States
Joined 4629 days ago

17 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 1 of 6
10 October 2015 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone,

I'm starting to study Mandarin, and I'm trying to sort out my study plan. I'm pretty happy with my strategy for tackling the hanzi, but the one thing I hadn't taken into account is the large number of characters with more than one pronunciation/reading.

Has anyone come across a good list of these? It would be great to have a list of characters with multiple readings that are in common use (I know there are some rarer readings of characters too, which aren't so important for me).

I'm planning on studying the 2,500 to 3,000 most common characters, and the list I'm using just has the most common reading for each hanzi. I guess if a comprehensive list doesn't exist, then a way of looking up each character to check would be nice to see if it has alternate readings would be nice. The dictionary I'm using doesn't list them.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
1 person has voted this message useful

jimbo
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6074 days ago

469 posts - 642 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 2 of 6
11 October 2015 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
Some dictionaries have a list at the back of characters with multiple pronunciations.

It is not a HUGE problem in Mandarin so don't let it stress you. Just make a note as you go along.

Maybe you could find an on-line list by searching for 破音字.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4946 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 3 of 6
12 October 2015 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
The pera-pera add-on usually provides the multiple readings for each character.

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4224 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 4 of 6
12 October 2015 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
I find different characters with the same or similar sounds more intimidating. I was in Sichuan China for a week-long visit 2 weeks ago. The Mandarin-speaking tour guide was easy to understand and talked about the local history a lot However, there are words in sentences I'm not familiar with like "ān​chún" 鹌鹑. He told the story of a Chinese in the 1990s who went to the Soviet Union and saw some small birds. He went back to China and starting selling them to local restaurants. Before he got a large facility for breeding, he would pay the locals to raise these birds in homes and offices and got wealthy as a bird distributor. The word "ān​chún" turned out to be quails.

Just off my head 7 characters with slightly different pronunciations:

长 cháng = long / 长辈 zhǎng​bèi = one's elder
大 dà = big / 大夫 dài​fu = traditional doctor
好 hǎo = good (sometimes use like "very" in English for emphasis) such as 好玩 hǎo​wán = very amusing / 好 hào = to be fond of such as 好玩 hào​wán = enjoy having fun.
乐 in 快乐 kuài​lè = happy / 音乐 yīn​yuè = music
曲 qǔ = song as in 乐曲 yuè​qǔ = music composition / 弯曲 wān​qū = curve around
数 shǔ used as a verb = to count / noun as in 数目 shù​mù = number, 数码 shù​mǎ = digital
行 xíng = generation expression for OK. When use in 行动 xíng​dòng = action / 银行 yín​háng = bank

For family relations with repeating characters the second is usually with a neutral tone:
爸爸 bà​ba = father
妈妈 mā​ma
太太 tài​tai = married woman (when addressing somebody as Mrs.)
夫妇 fū​fù = married couple
哥哥 gē​ge = older brother
弟弟 dì​di = younger brother
姐姐 jiě​jie = older sister
妹妹 mèi​mei = younger sister
伯伯 bó​bo = paternal uncle (father's older brother)
叔叔 shū​shu = father's younger brother
舅舅 jiù​jiu = maternal uncle (mother's brother)

Edited by shk00design on 13 October 2015 at 7:48am

day1
Groupie
Latvia
Joined 3672 days ago

93 posts - 158 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 5 of 6
25 October 2015 at 7:52am | IP Logged 
Just starting? Then this list is the one for you :)
3000 most common characters

It lists the most common characters in the frequency order, plus, it lists all the different pronunciations (if there are any) with sample words where these different pronunciations appear.

23 和:

[hé] together, with, (F��) harmony, gentle, mild, kind, <family name>; 和平 hépíng peace
[Hé] Japan
[huo] 暖和 nuǎnhuo nice and warm
[hè] join in singing, compose a poem in reply
[huó] mix with water
[huò] mix, blend
[hú] complete a set in Mahjong

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4729 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 6 of 6
05 December 2015 at 11:16am | IP Logged 
To me the best strategy is to learn the multi-sounding character in it's most common sounding (of course), and then simply learn the alternate pronunciations as they occur in the word where this alternate pronunciation occurs. (which honestly is a better way of learning characters when you get past the beginner stage, learn the new character in the words they occur).

It is not that difficult, however I do have to say that the character 着 is a ______. Still gives me problems as it has several common pronunciations that indicate various grammatical or aspectual matters.

Edited by outcast on 05 December 2015 at 11:16am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version