United Kingdom
Joined 3192 days ago

61 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Spanish
Studies: Dutch

Message 1 of 1
17 October 2015 at 4:15am | IP Logged 
So, initially I was doing German at university but due to unforeseen circumstances I will no longer be doing
this. In order to fill a void I chose Dutch. Dutch is a language that I have rarely heard before in my life.
Maybe a few YouTube clips etc but nothing much.
I am going into week three of university but I have only had one lesson of Dutch so far due to the change. I
have two hours per week of this. The Dutch part of the degree is only taught up to a2 level but I intend to
surpass this and reach a b2 within a year or so.
Prior to having my first lesson of Dutch, which is a tutor written course may I add, I purchased Dutch with
ease and started this as soon as it arrived.
As soon as I heard it I thought it was going to be a difficult road ahead.
I am now on lesson 4 of the assimil course and my ear is becoming accustomed to the sounds of the
language. During the first lesson of Dutch I was able to ask the tutor questions that she was never
expecting to hear so this method seems to be good.
I also study Italian and Spanish but the level I am currently surpasses the level of the course for these so I
am intending on putting around 50% of my time into Dutch.
I did start with the DLI Dutch course and did four hours of this but the quality was getting in the way of
learning I think and I didn't like the idea of memorising large chunks of texts with very little meaning to me.

I have been searching for Dutch native speakers to practice speaking with but so far I have drawn a blank.
I have tried shared talk and no one seems to want to help with Dutch etc. The search continues but the
plan as it stands is to continue shadowing the assimil course and listening to dutch radio to get the
sounds and rhythm printed on my brain.

The class materials that we are using are of a similar vibe to the assimil method. A conversation to listen
to, grammar explanations and then exercises. We covered, in class, regular verb present tense conjugation
and in the previous weeks that I missed, the pronouns and greetings.

So far, so good with Dutch. I really enjoy it as it amazing me how similar some things sound to English,
even though they are spelt completely different.

Target: B2 in one year of study.

I also intend visiting Holland as much as possible due to the close proximity to where I am.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version