United Kingdom
Joined 3193 days ago

61 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Spanish
Studies: Dutch

Message 1 of 2
17 October 2015 at 4:32am | IP Logged 
Going into week three of university Spanish. I am in the beginners and improvers class and we are
following a book entitled Palgrave foundations Spanish 1.
Weekly schedule for classes is two hours speaking, two hours grammer and one hour of comprehension.
spanish is my strongest foreign language as I have been learning on and off for years. I was rather modest
when applying to university and I was told that I would probably be better in the beginners / improvers
class. As it stands, the material being covered in class is very very basic. This means I dont have need to
revise the material from class and can concentrate more on my Dutch which is a totally new language.
My target for Spanish in the first year is only to maintain the level I am at whilst reading a graded reader
per day in order to add more vocab or simply just refresh it in memory.
Now for the dilemma....in the comprehension class today, the radar picked me up and I was spoken to ay
the end of the lesson about being moved into advanced Spanish.
As it stands, I have significant amounts of time to concentrate on dutch but if I move to advanced, I have a
feeling I will need to study out of class too which will.delay my dutch.
not sure what to do with that one.

topics covered so far: articles, numbers, accents, alphabet, family, conjugation of regular verbs in the
present, tener and "items around the house".

Oh yeah, I have also ordered "el Italian" from assimil. Not checked anyones results on learning a language
with another language but I am going to experiment with it.
1 person has voted this message useful

ExRN
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 3193 days ago

61 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Spanish
Studies: Dutch

Message 2 of 2
17 October 2015 at 4:50am | IP Logged 
Forgot to add, I do sometimes refer back to platiquemos drills in order to keep certain rules in memory.
Maybe 1 hour per week or so. I did do platiquemos up to level 30 or so previously and then moved onto
native materials when I lived over in spain. Also if the mood takes me I will watch something in Spanish
althpugh this is not a planned exercise.
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version