United Kingdom
Joined 3154 days ago

61 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Spanish
Studies: Dutch

Message 1 of 3
17 October 2015 at 4:46am | IP Logged 
Long time no post guys, I have just been settling into university.
I have spoke a little about my dilemma in my Spanish log but thought I would ask the question directly.
I have started studying Spanish, Italian and dutch at university. Italian and Spanish aim to get people to
equivalent of a b2 withing the first year and dutch is a language that is aiming for a2 and only taught for
one year altogether.
I am currently in beginners/improvers classes for Italian and Spanish and having never heard dutch before,
this is from scratch. The reason I am in the beginners class is purely because I have no qualifications in
eithrr language. At the end of week two, I am finding the pace we are going at and the material we are
covering extremely easy and I am able to go to classes and this is enough. This means I can put most of
my free time into learning dutch with the aim of reaching b2 within a year.
Here arrives the problem......during todays Spanish class I have been discovered as being able to get by in
spanish and communicate most needs in the language. It has been suggested i move to the post a level
class which is classed as advanced. Doing this, i would probably need to learn more Spanish outside of
class which in turn reduces my dutch allowance. I could carry on cruising and focus all of my attention on
dutch......its the same.degree at the end of it all no matter what class I start in. What would you guys do? :-/
stay bored in the beginners or be stretched in the advanced? Its all to do with Dutch I guess :-/
1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4424 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 2 of 3
18 October 2015 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
ExRN wrote:
Here arrives the problem......during todays Spanish class I have been discovered as being able to get by in
spanish and communicate most needs in the language. It has been suggested i move to the post a level
class which is classed as advanced. Doing this, i would probably need to learn more Spanish outside of
class which in turn reduces my dutch allowance. I could carry on cruising and focus all of my attention on
dutch......its the same.degree at the end of it all no matter what class I start in. What would you guys do? :-/
stay bored in the beginners or be stretched in the advanced? Its all to do with Dutch I guess :-/

"stay bored" says it all doesn't it? The time you spend being bored is, more or less, wasted. If you move up to a harder class you
will have more opportunities to learn. Admittedly that will mean more work, but you can control that: you can find more time or you
can decide to limit the time you are going to spend on Spanish and give it to Dutch instead.

Striver
United States
Joined 3126 days ago

8 posts - 15 votes
Studies: French

Message 3 of 3
19 October 2015 at 4:01am | IP Logged 
Are you willing and able to work considerably harder than you currently are? If so, move up. If you can't or prefer not to work a lot harder, then don't.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version