Techan
United States
Joined 3550 days ago

22 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Bulgarian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 1 of 11
26 October 2015 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
I have made these goal-type language logs before and failed miserably, so I'm going to change it up a little bit.

I'm focusing on Japanese, and I have a short-term goal that I'm trying to achieve. I have until December 15th to
master the material from chapters 13, 14, and 15 in the Genki II textbook.

My Weekly Master Plan:

Sunday:
-Run through first 40 (unknown) words of "Quizlet" vocabulary (to become familiarized with key vocabulary)
-Study and analyze 3 grammar points / sub-lessons
-Read the first chapter prompt
-Learn 1 or more kanji (Kanji Renshuu, new words in notebook, "Memrise - Genki II Kanji" set)

Monday:
-Review words in "Memrise" (these will be a compilation of "Quizlet" vocabulary and words already known) and then
continue focusing on 20-40 vocabulary words through "Quizlet" (2 vocabulary sets)
-Review grammar points / sub-lessons (listen to dialogues on CD, workbook)
-Learn 1 or more kanji (Kanji Renshuu, new words in notebook, "Memrise - Genki II Kanji" set)

Tuesday:
-Review both Memrise and Quizlet sets
-Look over lesson exercises, CD, workbook

Wednesday:
-Conversation group with Japanese students

Thursday:

Friday:

Saturday:
-Quickly review all materials
-Focus on homework outside of this language
-Read the second chapter prompt, CD, workbook
-Learn 1 or more kanji, or review all (Kanji Renshuu, new words in notebook, "Memrise - Genki II Kanji" set)

If I go at this pace, I will finish before December 15th. However, as the weeks go on, I may change my schedule to
make it more efficient.

*Personal Notes:
-The "Listening Comprehension" files go with the workbook.
-The "Kaiwa bunpo hen" and the "Yomikaki hen" go with the textbook.
-The vocabulary Memrise set has many more vocabulary that are already known, so focusing on the Quizlet sets is
more essential.

Edited by Techan on 30 October 2015 at 11:30pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Techan
United States
Joined 3550 days ago

22 posts - 23 votes

Message 2 of 11
02 November 2015 at 7:08am | IP Logged 
Week 1

Week 1 was more or less a success.

I accomplished everything, but ran out of time for the workbook, or I had to cram it all in on Saturday. This is
because I got the workbook halfway through the week and had to fit it into my schedule. This week should be
better.

The prompts are amazing because they are actually at my reading level and I feel a huge wave of success when I can
understand them!

The listening could use a little work. I had to listen over and over to get details. I'm hoping everything will fall into
place with time.

Kanji is well paced I would say. There is more vocabulary than I anticipated because the kanji includes kanji
compounds to study along with it. I may skip over these for the time being.

The conversation group went well! I think that if I go every week my speaking will improve!

The amount of general vocabulary I originally planned for myself was 15 words a week, but it grew to 20 with the
prompts, and then I wanted to try and finish the vocabulary off in about 3 weeks rather than 6, but I think it's too
hard to learn 40 vocabulary (on top of the 30 + vocabulary a week for my Korean class..) so I may revert back to 20
for now.

The grammar points either need more practice or I already know them well. I will review what I've learned
periodically and that should solidify them in my mind.

Hoping for an even more successful week next time!

Techan
United States
Joined 3550 days ago

22 posts - 23 votes

Message 3 of 11
07 November 2015 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
Week 2

It was an alright week. I got sick and couldn't make it to the conversation group on Wednesday, but there were two
Japanese events on Friday that I went to and spoke Japanese pretty much the whole time.

There were two big issues with this week:
1. It seems that a lot of work gets put off until Saturday, a day that is better for doing my other types of homework.
So, I am going to make my learning more structured.
2. I have problems memorizing vocabulary. I need to either engage more with the material, or review flash cards
more often.

This upcoming week, I will try this:

Sunday:
1 prompt
3 sub-lesson grammar points - Brief review
Begin with Memrise. Every other week, go up to a week in advance, so that you have seen the vocabulary
beforehand.
1 kanji

Monday:
1 workbook page
15 mins (at least) of vocabulary review
1 kanji

Tuesday:
1 kanji

Wednesday:
1 workbook page
Weekly conversation group
1 kanji

Thursday:
1 kanji

Friday:
1 workbook page
1 kanji

Saturday:
1 prompt
1 workbook page
Create 1 sentence with each vocabulary word (bonus if it's with the grammar concepts) to solidify the words into
memory
1 kanji

I find that the workbook pages really solidify the grammar concepts, so the constant review in the textbook
shouldn't be necessary if I keep up with the exercises.

Edited by Techan on 07 November 2015 at 11:46pm

Techan
United States
Joined 3550 days ago

22 posts - 23 votes

Message 4 of 11
16 November 2015 at 4:50am | IP Logged 
Week 3

Everything went pretty well. Vocabulary is still hard to learn on top of my Korean vocabulary, but it eventually sticks
once reviewed enough. There doesn't really need to be a set amount of time I review them everyday, just so I do
review them everyday for some amount of time.

The kanji is coming along well, I have been using a separate Kanji Renshuu booklet, but I noticed in the back of the
workbook there's a section to practice kanji in as well. It has been useful in solidifying those kanji!

There was a big homework load this week so I wasn't able to spend as much time with the material as I would have
liked, but I think as long as I just keep looking over the material and doing the workbook pages I'll be just fine.

There wasn't an opportunity to speak Japanese this week due to Veteran's Day falling on Wednesday (when the
conversation group meets). Next week there are events on Wednesday and Friday, hopefully I can attend one!

Just 4 weeks left until the final exam! I actually am very excited to finally prove my Japanese skills! I know that all of
this prep will pay off in the end~ Wish me luck!

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4943 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 5 of 11
28 November 2015 at 9:43am | IP Logged 
What final exam is this? JLPT or for the class you're taking? If you're having success in the conversation class then it
sounds like you're doing really well. Good job studying two asian languages at once and making progress. They're
hard!

Techan
United States
Joined 3550 days ago

22 posts - 23 votes

Message 6 of 11
04 December 2015 at 5:16am | IP Logged 
kraemder wrote:
What final exam is this? JLPT or for the class you're taking? If you're having success in the
conversation class then it
sounds like you're doing really well. Good job studying two asian languages at once and making progress. They're
hard!

This is a 211 final exam at the University of Washington. I'm trying to get into the 212 class for next quarter. Yeah,
conversing is really hard but I know that it's okay if I don't know a few words or make mistakes, and they can help
correct me.

Thanks so much for the support!

Techan
United States
Joined 3550 days ago

22 posts - 23 votes

Message 7 of 11
04 December 2015 at 5:46am | IP Logged 
Week 4, 5, 6

These weeks went pretty well, I didn't stick to the schedule so closely however, and got slightly behind. That's why I
planned to finish a week in advance, so I could have next week just in case.

One thing I've noticed is that Memrise doesn't really help me because their sets are pre-made, meaning I'm
reviewing a lot of already known words. I'd rather build my own sets unless I knew none of the words in the deck,
and this is why Quizlet is more beneficial for me. When I have a lot of time to spare, Memrise can be fun (I did this
for a few weeks last summer to review all of the Genki I vocabulary), but on this schedule it was hard to keep up
with it.

The teacher gave a more clear focus for the test, so I'm going to be studying these points mostly...
My focuses for the weekend of Week 6 and next week (Week 7) are:

Chapter 13:
-Review vocabulary
-Review grammar points

Chapter 14:
-Review kanji and common kanji compounds
-Review vocabulary
-Review grammar points

Chapter 15:
-Listening comprehension
-Grammar points (finish workbook pages)
-Review prompts
-Review vocabulary, particle usage with verbs
-Review kanji

The exam is on the 15th, so I have about 11 days. I have two other final exams the days before, and a research
paper due the same day. There are also a couple other assignments and an oral exam due for Korean next week.
Hopefully, I can finish memorizing the Japanese vocabulary and kanji by Sunday, and continue to review next week
up until the exam, in between studying and taking the other subject exams. It seems like the focus will be on
chapter 15, so I will be most intensely studying that chapter.

Can't believe it's almost the end of the quarter!

Techan
United States
Joined 3550 days ago

22 posts - 23 votes

Message 8 of 11
12 December 2015 at 7:38am | IP Logged 
So, we're approaching the final at last! All I need to do is go over the vocabulary for each chapter and review
everything, mostly the chapter 15 stuff. I'm feeling pretty confident for the upcoming test. The instructor moved the
date to December 14th, but I feel I'm almost as prepared as I'm going to get anyway. I finished all of the workbook
pages that are suppose to help me learn the materials. Three more days till the exam!!!

Update on Korean:
I took the final oral exam today, I got extremely nervous. I really don't know why, since it was just one-on-one with
the teacher and I knew what I had to say. Nevertheless, I stumbled a few times with my words, and started switching
up the order of sentences?? Anyway, hopefully she won't grade too harshly. I have a pretty good grade in the class
so I'm happy. And I've learned so much, it's been totally worth it. Tomorrow we have the final written Korean exam,
so that'll be fun. I'm thinking about making a vlog in Korean soon. That'll be fun!

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version