smv
Spain
Joined 3105 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English

Message 1 of 5
03 November 2015 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
Hello to everybody!

I am writing a text in art college and I would like to complete it with opinions of people from different countries
regarding what this phrase suggest to you, the famous phrase " I love ... " but a little different.

I know the translation, but I need what this 2 phrases suggest to you, what calls you, what them mean for you, wich
is the difference. I will set in the example "rugby" or "golf" and then the sentences in particular are:
1- "We love ... rugby" or "We love... golf"
2- "We are ... rugby" or "We are... golf"

I hope your opinions!
Thanks a lot!
1 person has voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3847 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 2 of 5
04 November 2015 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
First, welcome to the forum!

Second, I truly do not wish to be hard on you. However, the word "love" is meant to express an intense feeling of deep affection. Its synonyms are numerous and include deep affection, fondness, tenderness, warmth, intimacy, attachment, endearment devotion, adoration, doting, idolization, worship, passion, ardor, desire, lust, yearning, infatuation, and so on. However, "love" is also one of the most overused words in the English language; so much so, that it has effectively lost its meaning. A fine example of exaggerated use would be "we love golf" where the true meaning would be more akin to "we greatly enjoy playing golf". So, the phrase that you have suggested evokes in me the feeling that the persons expressing themselves in this fashion (a) greatly enjoy playing golf, and (b) would be wise to consult a thesaurus and choose amongst the myriad possibilities for expressing their feelings with greater precision and with substantially more flair before opening their mouths.

The construction "we are golf" evokes absolute horror in me! It is reminiscent of the "oh, so cute" advertising ploy of "dumbing down the language" in an attempt to appear unsophisticated, innocent, child-like, free of all artifice and therefore worthy of trust. An example from the commercial sector would be "Toys R’ Us" which causes me to gag, perspire heavily, and break out in an uncontrollable rash.

POSTSCRIPT:
As you are new to this forum, I would note that, for technical reasons, a "new" forum has been created and that many of the "more active members" have registered there. Furthermore, it is on the "new" forum that much of the discussion now takes place. Here is the LINK to the New Forum

Edited by Speakeasy on 04 November 2015 at 12:42am

smv
Spain
Joined 3105 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 3 of 5
05 November 2015 at 10:20am | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot! I will write again in the new forum.

One more question Speakeasy... and what do you think about:
3 - "Love... rugby" or "Love... golf"

Thanks very much!

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3847 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 4 of 5
06 November 2015 at 4:10am | IP Logged 
If my comments seem harsh, please forgive me, I have no intention of damaging your self-esteem. Rather, I am making an attempt at responding to the examples that you have submitted for review and comment.

The first example that you provided (we love golf) is a banal example of the overuse of the verb "love". It is not incorrect, it is simply trite.

The second example that you provided (we are golf) is a nonstandard formulation that would cause some confusion for most native English speakers. Unless this formulation were delivered in a specific context, such as the horrid "Toys R' Us" commercial ploy and imitating the innocence of small, illiterate children, most people would be left wondering what message the speaker was attempting to deliver.

The third example that you provided (love...golf) is nonsensical. If I were to read such a formulation, I would have serious misgivings as to the writer's command of the English language and, in any case, I would be at a loss as to its meaning. Were a stranger, or even someone that I knew, to address me in this manner, it would cause me to consider either (a) the speaker has suffered injury to the brain that has impaired the area of speech production, or (b) the speaker does not have even an elementary command of the English language.

In passing, I would note that the inclusion of the punctuation (...) in your examples would seem to suggest a brief "pause" or "suspension". I see no need for such punctuation and, for me, the implied pause injects additional confusion.

So then, I find myself wondering: what are you trying to achieve with these examples?

Edited by Speakeasy on 06 November 2015 at 4:25am

2 persons have voted this message useful

smv
Spain
Joined 3105 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 5 of 5
06 November 2015 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
As I commented in the first post it is for a study of the University master's degree course of Contemporary Arts Advanced. I am writing about what was at the time the innovative pop icon "I LOVE NY" designed by Glaser and which became a worldwide success and has continued its sales over the years applied to thousands of products. The original sketch of Glaser and display panels were donated by Doyle to the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art in New York.

I am writing about the impact of different options and design, typography, perception from different cultures, etc ... So my interest and questions about the perception of these three specific phrases and I understand your confusion and ignorance on the subject itself.

Thanks for your answer and curiosity Speakeasy, at no time has caused me some discomfort poque know you give me your view as a linguist and nothing else. And so I asked what to feel and evoked people from different countries and not only that you to stay with the merely linguistic.

PS: The ellipses are not necessary, of course, is to emphasize the first part of the sentence.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version