Brazil
Joined 3912 days ago

34 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Russian

Message 25 of 31
04 December 2015 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Perhaps the grammar curve is, but the vocabulary one certainly isn't. And you can get grammar from other resources. It was the lack of good resources for learning vocabulary in a friendly way that delayed my Russian learning.

Maybe you are right.

Anyway, with the 70s Assimil course you can get a pretty good vocabulary. I'm listening the Linguaphone cds for Russian and to my astonishment I could understand practically everything. Either Linguaphone is pretty basic or Assimil is very good. Or both.

Edited by lsilvaj on 04 December 2015 at 1:01am

1 person has voted this message useful

guiguixx1
Octoglot
Belgium
guillaumelp.wordpres
Joined 3874 days ago

163 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Dutch, Portuguese, Esperanto, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 26 of 31
13 December 2015 at 10:17pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for all your replies! I've been quite busy with university stuffs, which didn't
let me as much time as I wanted for language learning, and since it was quite
demanding, I had to put Russian aside for some time. Instead, I turned to an easier
language, Portuguese (which I already wanted to learn, a few months back. Now, thanks
to duolingo and a Brazilian friend, it's done!).

In the meantime, the Polish course on duolingo has been released. I happen to have a
Polish friend, whom I promised to learn Polish (I was waiting for the duolingo course
to dive into this language, which I had studied for 2 weeks using Assimil about a year
ago). So I began Polish. It's a language I've been wanting to learn for a longer time
than Russian.

But I of course still want to give Russian a try... So, would both languages be a
possibility? I've read on other forums that, due to their similarities (except for
their alphabet), it was dangerous to learn both at the same time. Nevertheless, I like
challenges, so I would like to try...

What would you advise me? I thus have some basic knowledge of Polish (though still
very limited, mainly vocab), while in Russian, I only have a couple of duolingo
lessons....

As far as books are concerned, for Polish I have the Assimil from French, and for
Russian I have the Harrap's méthode express + le russe pour les nuls + le russe en 90
leçons, though I mainly use duolingo when learning the basis of a language.

CitizenJimserac
United States
Joined 3103 days ago

13 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: Russian

Message 27 of 31
13 December 2015 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
I would advise against learning both Polish and Russian at the same time.

Pick one, learn it first, then later the other.

There are many similar words but they are still two different languages.

Polish has a beautiful sound to it, perhaps one day I will look into but I have no reason right now.

Imagine if someone were to ask about learning English and German at the same time.
It sound rather confusing.   But German for an English speaker, nothing to it, and same vice versa, once some
differentials are noted and worked out.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 28 of 31
13 December 2015 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
Ah, the eternal question. Some of the common arguments here. In my experience, it's totally fine, especially if you focus on comprehension. Just make sure you treat them as separate languages.

Do you have other reasons to learn Polish other than the promise to a friend? I've had friends who speak Indonesian and Romanian, and I learned the respective languages because of them ut we never managed to switch and in fact it's contrbuted to us drifting apart.

guiguixx1
Octoglot
Belgium
guillaumelp.wordpres
Joined 3874 days ago

163 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Dutch, Portuguese, Esperanto, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 29 of 31
14 December 2015 at 9:14am | IP Logged 
Learning more than one language at the same time doesn't frighten me, I've always done it
^^ my main fear about this is that progress is slow, of course.

Do I have other reasons for Polish? Well, the only other reason would be that Polish is
known to be difficult, and I like challenges, but apart from that, not really ^^ But the
same argument goes for Russian as well, although the fact that it's spoken by so many
people is yet another reason why I want to try it. Russian having a different alphabet,
which is seen as ellitist, is also attractive ^^ But we've already dealt with this aspect
in another thread. Just learning Cyrillic can do the tric ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

angelos
United Kingdom
explorerussian.com
Joined 2990 days ago

5 posts - 10 votes

Message 30 of 31
21 February 2016 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
Hey guiguixx1,

Quite hard to learn Russian and Polish at the same time! Some time ago I also wanted to learn Russian and
Ukrainian at the same time but I decided to stick to Russian. I think it's better to focus on one thing.

By the way, a friend of mine sent me 79104e62e930#.wavtxw8gd"">this recently. I'm sure you will like it.

For Russian, I would suggest that you watch films. I watch them with both English and Russian subtitles
using this method. There you
will also find a good selection of films with subs in both English and Russian all freely available on YouTube.

You can practice a language while walking on the street. This is real practice as it involves multiple senses
and you do speak the language. I made a video about this. NUhU/"">There you go.

Let us know on your progress.

Best,
Angelos

CitizenJimserac
United States
Joined 3103 days ago

13 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: Russian

Message 31 of 31
21 February 2016 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
Explore Russian....BEAUTIFUL SITE !! If only that had one like that for Japanese !

Thanks !

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version