Crom Cruach
Diglot
United States
Joined 3453 days ago

2 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 1 of 22
13 November 2015 at 8:31am | IP Logged 
I know it's a vague question. Come on, don't say there is no best language. Don't say
they all have good qualities. I know. Just say your opinion. Just consider the
language for its own sake. Pick anything you want! This is your time to decide. All your
life, people have demanded beauty, efficiency, and helpfulness from you. But today is
your day! Today, you are free. Today, you can decide what is the greatest language!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Glarus Girl
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4357 days ago

50 posts - 108 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Swiss-German

Message 2 of 22
13 November 2015 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
I'm going to bite because I am in a peculiar mood today...

I find this a really weird post - who are you to tell people that 'today' they can decide
anything anyway?!! I am free every single day and therefore in my opinion I deem this
not a vague question but a stupid question! Surely people have made their decisions by
the choices they made for learning a language in the first place so what's the point in
debating which one is the best, why does everything always boil down 'to the best'? And
if this is your idea of fun, I think you need to get out more! :op
11 persons have voted this message useful

Crom Cruach
Diglot
United States
Joined 3453 days ago

2 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 3 of 22
13 November 2015 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
Basically I want to learn a language, but not based on being able to use it with a lot of
people. I don't care if I'll probably never meet another speaker of it, or ever go to a
country where it's spoken, so all I need to know is what language is the best, just for
its own sake. Maybe it is a stupid question, but just answer it anyway, okay?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 22
13 November 2015 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
Explore various languages and see what appeals to you. My favourite is Finnish ;) Portuguese, Danish, Italian, Croatian are also very special to me.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6485 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 22
14 November 2015 at 7:05am | IP Logged 
Weird question. If you measure things on number of speakers, number of learners, use in science and commerce and forums or average length of translated texts then English lies quite high on the list - and that's objective measurements so you can quibble about their relevance and ways to measure them, but they still represent hard facts.

On the other hand, if you measure languages on fuzzy things like beauty then I would say that you can't put languages on a scale at all. For instance I don't like that you say "you" in English when you mean 'people in general', and on a bad day that might spoil my relationship with English for several minutes - but then I'll nevertheless open an article in English because that's where I find something about a certain topic.

So I'll feel free enough to refuse to put languages on a scale on anything but objective criteria like those I mentioned above.

Edited by Iversen on 14 November 2015 at 7:06am

7 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4226 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 6 of 22
15 November 2015 at 4:32am | IP Logged 
Using the number of speakers as a standard everybody would be learning Mandarin. It is the largest language group by population but mainly limited to 3 places: China, Taiwan & Singapore. There are people like the polyglot Moses McCormick getting into minority languages like Georgian and other less common languages for interest sakes.
1 person has voted this message useful

aokoye
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5323 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, Norwegian, Japanese

Message 7 of 22
15 November 2015 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
Crom Cruach wrote:
Basically I want to learn a language, but not based on being able to use it with
a lot of people. I don't care if I'll probably never meet another speaker of it, or ever go to a
country where it's spoken, so all I need to know is what language is the best, just for
its own sake. Maybe it is a stupid question, but just answer it anyway, okay?

I would suggest you take your own advice and come up with your own "best language" . I mean I think
the whole idea is incredibly flawed and your encouragement ("All your
life, people have demanded beauty, efficiency, and helpfulness from you. But today is
your day! Today, you are free. Today, you can decide what is the greatest language!") rather
patronizing, but yeah - I really don't know what you're trying to accomplish.

In short, you should find a language that you find interesting, not that other people do.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 8 of 22
16 November 2015 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 
The one I find the most fun to study is Estonian, but this is largely because I don't find it so difficult now after having studied Georgian and Russian before which made me familiarized with cases and postpositions. So I can enjoy the concision and straighforwardness of the Estonian grammar and I don't have to worry about learning too many brand new concepts. I bet Turkish will be likewise fun, though phonetically I prefer Estonian. Agglutinative languages are pretty fun when you learn to say a lot with few phonemes.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version