tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5516 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 25 of 25
28 November 2015 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
To the original post only:
I'm currently at university in France, and while people aren't as extremely forthcoming as in Spain with simplifying their own language and guessing what I am trying to say they stay in French when I make an effort to speak French. It's usually me who switches to English (... or Spanish or German) when I can't express myself in French, and I try to switch back afterwards.

Interestingly many of the people I interact with at university seem to try connect with us by throwing some German into the conversation. I think it's a mixture of them trying to show us that they know how it is to struggle in a second language, and that they are proud they do know (some of) our language. I would imagine that the same happens when you're a native English speaker, but in our case it is easy to make a distinction between the situations in which we have to resort to using a shared language (English) to communicate and those situations in which the native speaker is trying to bond and encourage us (German).

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version