Mike_405
United Kingdom
NoneRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3073 days ago

13 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 2
20 November 2015 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
I have to say, assimil has been excellent for me. I have tried numerous Spanish resources in fact most of them out there as an English base. An hour or more passes by and it feels like about 15 minutes. The dialogues and humorous and the grammar notes are succinct and to the point. I have been studying Spanish for a few months so I know some of the basics and admittedly the assimil would not be as effective if I were a total beginner. It involves almost no effort on my part, just reading and re-reading previous lessons and listening to the audio. I only intended to learn Spanish but because the resource is so good I intend to study French next or maybe Italian.

I will give a quick run down of what I have used so far:

Rosseta stone and fluenz – these are very poor and a simple book costing much less would be better.

Pimsluer and learning Spanish like crazy – pimsleur is too slow and not much vocabulary for the time spent studying. Learning Spanish like crazy is good though recommended, although requires some dedication as can get a bit tedious.

FSI courses – these are excellent as many report but require too much effort for me.

Tell me more Spanish 9 and 10.5 – good but not suitable for beginners. Will be useful when a get to the intermediate/advanced stage.

Practice makes perfect beginner Spanish – good but a traditional method of leaning which requires making notes, writing and re-writing vocabulary etc.

I just thought I would share my enthusiasm for the assimil method. I found out about it through forums and hope this post is of interest to people who are trying to learn a language.

Regards, Mike.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Mike_405
United Kingdom
NoneRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3073 days ago

13 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 2 of 2
06 January 2016 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
Thought I would post an update. More than halfway through the Spanish with ease now on about lesson 56.

Motivation did drop sightly around lesson 30 when the lessons became harder, but I continued through. Motivation is back to when I started the course and I am studying around an hour a day. It has become a hobby for me now and not just learning languages. After I have finished with ease I intend to study using Spanish, then French with ease and using French advanced.

What level is my Spanish?

Starting to get the general idea of native material such as dubbed American shows. Even if its just the odd word or sentence its almost possible to deduce what is being said.

I can write and speak basic sentences, the word I want will sometimes just pop into my head and I check if it is right and it is. Before assimil I was studying from practice makes perfect beginner Spanish, and now flicking through some of the passages in that in the later half of the book I can understand it. (Maybe the odd word or phase I don't know but get the general idea.)

I seem to be great at translating from Spanish to English but that great at translating English to Spanish.

All in all I am very impressed with assimil. It would have taken me a lot longer to go through that practice makes perfect beginner Spanish to get to the level I am now and I might have not got there because its boring compared to the assimil.

Regards, Mike.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version