Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Easiest Arabic dialect for Eng. speakers?

Tags: Dialect | Arabic
 Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
Dylanarama
United States
Joined 5198 days ago

30 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 3
28 November 2015 at 5:52am | IP Logged 
I am just wondering as far as Arabic dialects go, which one would be the easiest for an English speaker. Are there any dialects that are somewhat more simplified, or have picked up grammar rules for Indo European languages? For example Arabic has different words for colors depending on gender, but are there any dialects that just have one word? What about other languages grammar like Hebrew and Maltese?
1 person has voted this message useful

flydream777
Triglot
United States
Joined 6250 days ago

77 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Greek, Hungarian, Armenian, Irish, Italian

Message 2 of 3
29 November 2015 at 5:35am | IP Logged 
Well Hebrew is way easier than any dialect of Arabic. Maltese might be easier too because they use a Latin based alphabet but I haven't studied Maltese. Any Arabic dialect is going to have different words for colors (and just about everything else) based on grammatical gender. Someone else might know, but there are no dialects of Arabic that I know of that have done away with gender. Gulf Arabic might be slightly easier because they have simplified some consonant sounds. I'm not sure if any other dialects have.

Edit to add: Hebrew and Arabic are both Semitic languages, so Hebrew has grammatical gender also. Maltese probably does too. If you're going to get into Arabic or any other language, try to enjoy the differences and difficulties instead of looking for things that are easy :-) because every language has easy things and hard things!

Edited by flydream777 on 29 November 2015 at 5:38am

4 persons have voted this message useful

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6206 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 3 of 3
10 February 2017 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
Ha ha! Sorry, but these questions about "easiest" this or that "for English speakers" have gotten out
of hand.

Edited by reineke on 10 February 2017 at 7:02pm

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version