Language Learning Forum : Questions About Your Target Languages Post Reply
justinjames
United States
Joined 3490 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Studies: English*

Message 1 of 4
14 December 2015 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
I'm looking for a native speaker to help me here but I've come up empty on the usual suspect (Italki). It's not a
common language with little products offered. Anyone have any suggestions?
1 person has voted this message useful

TimmyTurner93
Groupie
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3462 days ago

45 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Portuguese, Japanese

Message 2 of 4
14 December 2015 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
I too am interested in Mauritian Creole but never started because I felt it would be
too much of a chore as my 1st foreign language but I've been reading around how to go
about it for future reference. I did pick up a few ideas from around the web (not
specifically about Mauritian Creole) which I'll link below.

•http://language-learners.org/2015/12/14/my-experience-lea rni ng-a-minority-language-
guest-post-by-iguanamon/
•http://www.fluentin3months.com/nahultl/
•http://www.everydaylanguagelearner.com/2012/07/03/learnin g-l ess-popular-minority-
languages-when-resources-hard-find/

Also search Google for learn Mauritian Creole or something along those lines. I saw a
basic grammar pdf but didn't save it

Edited by TimmyTurner93 on 14 December 2015 at 11:11pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5057 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 3 of 4
15 December 2015 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
Resources will, indeed, be hard to come by, but not impossible. Access to native-speakers will be even harder, but, once again, not impossible. I suggest you start with a very basic course- like "Korek, a beginners guide to Mauritian CreoleKorek, a beginners guide to Mauritian Creole free pdf guide.

Thanks for the link to my recent post, TT. Here is the clickable link My experience learning a minority language/ Also, have a look at the wikipedia page about the language. Look at the list of notes at the bottom of the page and if you can't find the books, ask for an inter-library loan at your local library.

There are significantly more resources available for Seychelles Creole. Also, consider joining the new forum. I hardly come here anymore. HTLAL is a mere shadow of what it used to be.

language learners.org
3 persons have voted this message useful

justinjames
United States
Joined 3490 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Studies: English*

Message 4 of 4
15 December 2015 at 4:03am | IP Logged 
Thank you all so much, these are awesome. My wife and in laws are Mauritian and more than helpful but not
teachers. Being very much a blank slate.... It's a challenge learning... And frustrating.

Fabulous island.... Wonderful people.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version