United States
Joined 5261 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

Message 1 of 11
24 December 2015 at 10:42am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone,

I recently accepted a position to work in China and thus think it is a good idea to start taking serious
my study of Mandarin. I studied somewhat seriously about five years ago, but have since only
visited it sporadically. Since this offer has come about, however, I have since begun more diligently
studying. I have about two months before I arrive in China, so I am trying to study about two-three
hours each day at the least. Twice a week, I meet with a Chinese friend who helps me study and I
am becoming more confident in my speaking, though it still needs work.

However, I am having a bit of trouble selecting materials. I was thinking of going through Assimil 2,
but other than that I am really at a loss for textbooks at the lower intermediate level. Thus far, I have
a good understanding of the grammar, tones are not a major issue for me, but more complicated
grammatical patterns still confuse me and my vocabulary is lacking. I was wondering if anyone
might have (a) any thoughts on Assimil Chinese with Ease 2, and (b) any advice about other
materials that may help me acquire the skills I am lacking. For the moment, since I am leaving to
China quite soon, I think it is best to really try to get my communication skills as strong as possible.

Thank you all in advance.

1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 2 of 11
26 December 2015 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
How good is your French? Méthode 90 is a good sequel to Assimil.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Po-ru
Diglot
United States
Joined 5261 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 

Message 3 of 11
29 December 2015 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
Sadly, my French is not that good. However, I have found that some of the guides are sufficient, so
long as the examples are relatively easy to understand from the context. For example, some
materials provide excellent audio and conversational dialogues followed by examples in the target
language that are easy to figure out. How is Méthode 90 structured?

Elsinore13
Groupie
United States
Joined 4757 days ago

41 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 4 of 11
01 January 2016 at 2:04am | IP Logged 
My Chinese study has lacked my focus for quiet awhile, but I would suggest to continue with Assimil 1 and 2. I was surprised on my first trip to China that I could actually understand more than I thought because of the use of common words.

I would also add Pimsleur into the mix as I found the speed to be extremely fast compared to Assimil. It may help train your ear.

I picked up a book called "Chinese 24/7" by Albert Wolfe. He breaks down the essentials you need to learn based on the time you have. While not perfect, it might help you focus your studying. Chinesepod might be good to check out as well. They cover a huge amount of topics which will help with culture shock and tons of topic specific words.

Good luck in your new adventure!

Po-ru
Diglot
United States
Joined 5261 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 

Message 5 of 11
04 January 2016 at 1:33am | IP Logged 
Thanks Elsinore,

Does Chinese 24/7 come with audio? Or is it just a book? I checked it on amazon and wasn't sure. I have
also been on Chinesepod101 again. I too used it in the past. However, it really doesn't provide the
grammatical overview that I like, the audio on some lessons is terrible (obscenely fast unnecessarily), and
a lot of impractical terms and usages. Plus, there is a lack of grammatical overview (or at least from my
point of view). Perhaps I am not using the site right, but I think there are better options out there.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 6 of 11
05 January 2016 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
Po-ru wrote:
Sadly, my French is not that good. However, I have found that some of the guides are sufficient, so
long as the examples are relatively easy to understand from the context. For example, some
materials provide excellent audio and conversational dialogues followed by examples in the target
language that are easy to figure out. How is Méthode 90 structured?

Sorry it took me so long to answer, but I wanted to show you the samples of the lessons, and for this I needed my desktop computer. Here you are:

We have 90 of this format so I think the learner is well-served. I admit grammar is taught in a rather heterodox way, but for grammar I do recommend Routledge sources, such as "Modern Mandarin Chinese: A Grammar and Workbook".

Po-ru
Diglot
United States
Joined 5261 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 

Message 7 of 11
06 January 2016 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator,

thanks for your message. That is extremely helpful! I really believe it would be better to have such a
resource in English though, so for the moment I don't believe that it will work for me. But it really
seems like an amazing text and exactly like my learning style. Do you happen to have any other
recommendations that are of a similar nature?

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 8 of 11
06 January 2016 at 1:41pm | IP Logged 
The format Dialogues + translation + pinyin is actually pretty similar to the lessons found at Chinesepod101. Of course Chinesepod101's lessons are more dry, no exercises, shorter grammar explanations, but since there are many more of them you end up finding equivalent content. You have the option to listen to the full lesson with loads of English or just read the pdf and listen to the Chinese dialogues only.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version