Triglot
Canada
Joined 4231 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 9 of 11
10 January 2016 at 6:34am | IP Logged 
People tend to think of Mandarin as the standard in China. There are all sorts of different sounds that are influenced by regional dialects such as Shanghai, Beijing, Taiwan, etc.

Came across a video: Different accents of Mandarin

You can try the Glossika Mandarin training program:
Chinese Fluency Training Day 1

If you have trouble getting YouTube online in China, you can use the Glossika Language Training link:
Fluency 123 - Chinese (Mandarin, China)

Edited by shk00design on 10 January 2016 at 6:35am

1 person has voted this message useful

Elsinore13
Groupie
United States
Joined 4763 days ago

41 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 10 of 11
13 January 2016 at 3:29am | IP Logged 
Sorry to take so long to reply back to you!!

They do have audio files that support the book, however I think you may get more from Pimsleur or Assimil. You can download them the book's site to follow with the book. The one thing about the 24/7 book is it prioritize your learning based on time to study. Since you know your tones and general pronunciation of words you may skip as good section of the book.

I think the grammar is presented in a very understandable manner. It provides lots of examples of how it's used. As a person who hates grammar any way you can sugar coat it is fine by me! I think the book does a very good job. And I think it's kind of smart of the author to throw it in the last chapters of the book. Hook the reader in with starting working with the language right away and slip in grammar little by little. (Now if I could find a book like that for German!)

The best way to compare it as think of it as a phrase book with the most important phrases and explanation of how and when to use them,plus more. If you're on the fence about getting the book I did see that it is available for Inter-Library loan through the OCLC Worldcat system.

Best of luck!

edited for additional information

Edited by Elsinore13 on 13 January 2016 at 3:38am

Po-ru
Diglot
United States
Joined 5267 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

Message 11 of 11
16 January 2016 at 6:20am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the replies. I am tempted to go with Assimil 2 and then perhaps just pick up a textbook
when I get to China. Chinese Pod 101 really was impractical for me. The introduction of new
vocabulary was not really well planned (a lot of new higher level and idiomatic vocabulary early on),
nor was the grammar well presented. While it offers a lot of material, I think it would be better used
as review material rather than material one uses as a primary source of study.

Has anyone tried the older linguaphone methods? Or any other methods that may be around?

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version