Brazil
Joined 4343 days ago

20 posts - 25 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 1 of 7
20 January 2016 at 11:25am | IP Logged 
Hi,

I have been dedicating 6h/week to study french for 11 months now. It is my first time trying to learn a language on my
own. So far, I am using flash cards to help learning, and I make reviews every day. I went through a grammar book and
made some exercises. I am following the course Learn french with Vincent on youtube, right now, I am on unit 12 of 20.
I tried to read articles from newspapers in french, and some page of the first Harry Potter book, and I can at least
have an understanding of what it is about. I can say I am happy with my progress so far.

I would like some suggestions on improving my listening and reading.

I tried listening to the Harry Potter audiobook, but it is too hard to understand yet. Same thing with movies. Does
anyone have a suggestion of some text/audio that is not so complex, but also not too simple?

Does transcribing help?

Thank you

Kelly
1 person has voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5156 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 2 of 7
20 January 2016 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
Have you done an Assimil course? They are cheap and should give you what you are looking for.

Edited by James29 on 20 January 2016 at 10:51pm

kgoedert
Diglot
Brazil
Joined 4343 days ago

20 posts - 25 votes

Message 3 of 7
21 January 2016 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
I tried the assimil course, before I started watching the youtube course I mentioned, but I
just didn't like it.

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3833 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 4 of 7
21 January 2016 at 12:44pm | IP Logged 
From the description you provided in your introductory statement, I get the impression that the focus of your studies has been mostly on "native materials" which, while quite commendable, might be depriving you from the benefits of a well-conceived programme that is designed to take the student, step-by-step, to progressively higher levels of ability in the target language. There is also the possibility that you have simply reached a "plateau", as we all do in our learning, and that your mind is merely going through a "digestive phase" which, once it is completed, you will begin to advance once again.

I have something of an unusual suggestion. I recommend that you download the DLI French Basic course and that you work with these materials from Lesson 1 and progress fairly quickly up to the level where you begin feel that you are experiencing some difficulty. Doing so will serve as an excellent review of your current studies and it will reinforce what you have already learned. My experiences with the DLI Basic materials suggests to me that there are "gaps" in your learning and that, even in the introductory lessons, you will discover things that you missed. By continuing with these materials from the level where you find some difficulty, your progress will be benefit from being supported by a more structured approach.

As to the materials themselves, while they are "somewhat dated", they are truly EXCELLENT. They provide an unusual balance between the spoken and written aspects of the language and they're FREE! From your description of your study habits, you seem to be a very serious student, which is something of a prerequisite for working with the DLI and FSI materials. Give it shot, you've got nothing to lose! Here is the LINK: DLI Basic courses

As an aside, I would note that most of the "more active" members of the HTLAL seem to have moved over to the new/replacement forum A Language Learners' Forum. I suggest that you register there, as well, and enjoy the benefits of BOTH forums.

Edited by Speakeasy on 21 January 2016 at 12:50pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

kgoedert
Diglot
Brazil
Joined 4343 days ago

20 posts - 25 votes

Message 5 of 7
21 January 2016 at 12:47pm | IP Logged 
You are correct in your impressions about my studies. I will the course you suggested.

Thank you

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 6 of 7
21 January 2016 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
Or you might get Grammaire Progressive series instead. You are a Portuguese native speaker, you don't need a classical course that much, in my opinion. A good grammar, like the series I've just mentioned, could bring the desired central structure into your studies.
2 persons have voted this message useful

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3323 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 7 of 7
23 January 2016 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
kgoedert wrote:
Hi,

I have been dedicating 6h/week to study french for 11 months now.
I am following the course Learn french with Vincent on youtube, right now, I am on unit 12 of 20.
I would like some suggestions on improving my listening and reading.

The most important component to listening and reading is time spent practicing these activities.

Take your referenced video for example. Although the video seems high quality, the instructor spends about 90% of the time explaining things (in English), and only about 10% of the time actually delivering French language sentences to you. This means after 3 weeks, you will have the following time committed:

18 hours = English instruction + French listening
        = (0.9) * 18 + (0.1) * 18

This comes out to just under 2 hours of actual French listening. Not that the other 16 hours are wasted, but during these 16 hours you clearly will not have been improving your French listening or reading.

Seek out materials that have a higher ratio of native material, like 80-90%, so that when you spend 18h studying, your listening time actually gets close to 18h. Assimil-style listening materials have only native dialogs, so there is no time wasted in listening to explanations (explanations can be read in the book as necessary).

4 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version