Triglot
Canada
Joined 4203 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 1 of 4
10 February 2016 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
Learn a new language with the "No English" rule is faster and more effective than if you try to learn a language using some English (or your native language). In many cases, you will achieve better results in 3 months than living in a country for 1 year relying on studying phase books, podcasts and using a language in every opportunity.

Here is a video by Scott Young & Vat Jaiswal:
One Simple Method to Learn Any Language
5 persons have voted this message useful

SallImSayin
Diglot
United States
Joined 5525 days ago

19 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Swahili, Lingala, Igbo

Message 2 of 4
25 February 2016 at 4:17am | IP Logged 
Interesting. Besides a dictionary, I wonder what they used to get started? I only
skimmed, so I'm not sure if they said.
1 person has voted this message useful

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3301 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 3 of 4
08 March 2016 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
This I think topic has been discussed before on this forum. Maybe someone can link a relevant thread. Basically the question involves whether we should use English or another language to learn another language.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with using English (or another language) to learn language X (whatever language you're learning). However, the problem usually happens in the following way: you use English to learn X, then you will become dependent on it and it will consume a lot of your time that should actually be devoted to learning X.

As a simple example, a few of my colleagues are learning German, and they were asking some questions *about* German of my other colleague, who speaks German. Maybe they spent about 5 minutes in discussions about this or that words, this or that grammatical structure, etc. However, they were speaking English the whole time. Mentioning a few German words here and there does not "count" as "speaking German", so basically it means they lost out on potential practice time. If they had instead tried to ask these questions in German, it may have taken much longer, say 15-20 minutes instead of 5. But that's 20 minutes of practice toward learning a language.

Plus, you'll probably learn better that way, because you're motivated to understand the answer to your question.

As far as getting started, there's also a misconcption that you need dictionaries to learn words. That's just not true. Dictionaries are useful references, nothing more. We didn't need no dictionaries as kids, why would we need them as adults? However, if they are useful, you should use them.

Rhian
France
Joined 6256 days ago

265 posts - 288 votes 
Speaks: English*
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 4
08 March 2016 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
Try posting on www.forum.language-learners.org as
you might get a few more responses. Of course this
site is still in use but due to various technical
issues an alternative forum was set up and is a lot
more active than this one.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version