Mike_405
United Kingdom
NoneRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3077 days ago

13 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 4
08 June 2016 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
I am learning Spanish as a hobby. I am on lesson 80 from assimil Spanish with ease.

One thing that is a barrier to my learning is the rate of native speech. If it was slower I would understand more because it takes about a second for me to understand a sentence, but with most native speech it flys by.

As I am only doing this as a hobby I am thinking about learning French because to me the rate of speech is much slower and easier to understand. I have checked out youtube on different subjects and French speakers speak a lot slower.

Any tips for listening comprehension for fast Spanish speech?

Thanks, Mike.
1 person has voted this message useful

Rhian
France
Joined 6279 days ago

265 posts - 288 votes 
Speaks: English*
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 4
09 June 2016 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
Hey we have pretty much all moved over to
www.forum.language-learners.org after technical
problems here so you might want to try posting over
there.

Edited for typos.

Edited by Rhian on 09 June 2016 at 1:18am

2 persons have voted this message useful

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6229 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 3 of 4
10 February 2017 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
Franch is slower when measured in syllables per
minute, but French also packs more information per
spoken syllable. Many factors, including one's
mother tongue, vocabulary load etc. may contribute
to perceived speed difficulty.
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5008 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 4 of 4
12 February 2017 at 1:41pm | IP Logged 
From my own experience in translation I can say language speeds are not really that different, especially with Spanish and English -- so I would say it is more a matter of getting used than a real problem with listening comprehension.

Assuming no big problems with the language itself (large vocabulary gaps or other stuff that would interfere and/or compound with the speed issue), I would recommend playing with matching texts and audio, either in the form of transcripts for show audios, book reading recordings, or anything similar.

If you have no problems with the written text, you only need to get familiar with it in its spoken form with the proper speed, intonation, etc. For that, a number of exercises can be done, but all I could mention off the top of my head are just variations of 'read, predict how it will sound, check with the recording' and 'listen, guess at the text, read, and repeat' in appropriately shorter or longer chunks to make some ongoing progress.

Edited by mrwarper on 12 February 2017 at 1:43pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version