angelos
United Kingdom
explorerussian.com
Joined 2968 days ago

5 posts - 10 votes

Message 1 of 3
14 September 2016 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
Hi Russian learners,

I gave a talk at Oxford University on how to learn Russian with effective techniques.

I hope you find it useful.

Watch HERE

Best,
Angelos

Edited by angelos on 14 September 2016 at 7:00pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

hyuwiya
Australia
Joined 3439 days ago

1 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 2 of 3
12 January 2017 at 11:46am | IP Logged 
Yes it is useful thanks. Really annoying though, to hear people talking in the
background. They have no respect.
2 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4986 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 3 of 3
14 January 2017 at 11:56am | IP Logged 
It would have been really nice to have a transcript (a full one, not just the first part that can be seen --as of now-- right below the video window) -- it's so much faster, and works way better if/when you are interrupted (it happens to me every time I try to watch any video with some real content). Maybe that's why when I could finally focus I barely noticed those people talking in the background :)

Regarding the content rather than the medium, I didn't really like either the bit about walking around speaking Russian aloud -- I concur that you'll get nothing from what you don't even try, but every idea about learning --especially 'crazy' ones-- greatly benefits from some explanation of the rationale behind it. You do that for other techniques that seem rather straightforward, so why not with that?

Other than that, I think it's quite good a talk/presentation. Much of what you explained there (working with video, subtitles and transcripts at once, decomposing daunting, long words into manageable bits, etc.) closely resembles my own techniques, differing only in maybe little details, and I'm totally certain how those are effective, so you definitely get my seal of approval ;)

BTW, I'd mention that I didn't really use those techniques specifically for Russian because I am still at a rather low level to effectively process native materials (at this stage I prefer to cherry-pick beginner materials from which I can process the whole lot without too many pauses). However, the techniques described are nearly universally applicable so this could be of some use to all learners, not just those doing Russian.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version