Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How can I put a list in frequency order?

Tags: Word Frequency
 Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
DougR6666
United States
Joined 4899 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: Spanish

Message 1 of 2
28 October 2016 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
I use vocabulary.com to study English vocabulary and it generates a nice list of words that I have studied. How can I put that list in order of frequency of use in the language? There must be some way. While I really like that website & app, I want to make my own flashcards and study the hardest words first.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 2
11 November 2016 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
You need to download at least the first 1000 or so items of a frequency table with their frequencies from the internet. Put those words into one column in a spreadsheet and the frequencies in the next column. Then copy your own list to a third column (separated by some empty columns)and add a column with a lookup function alongside the column with your words so that it finds the frequencies for the words that occur in the frequency list. NB: there are some quirks about those functions. In some cases you need to sort the lookup-table into alphabetical order first, and there may also be parameters that indicate what happens when one of your own words isn't found there.

I mention the limit at 1000 or so words because the differences above that basically are irrelevant - the differences among rarer words on such a list are totally overshadowed by differences in frequency caused by choice of genre, topic and style.

Edited by Iversen on 11 November 2016 at 6:09pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version