leosmith
United States
Joined 6332 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 1 of 7
06 December 2016 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
The replacement forum, called "A language learners' forum" has been down a lot lately. I
propose using this forum as a place to meet when it's not working. I wonder if we'll have to
create a more stable site in the future.

The error message I'm getting is:

"General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Access denied for user 'xgipubli_htlal'@'localhost' (using password: YES) [1045]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem
persists."

Anybody else?
1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5044 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 2 of 7
06 December 2016 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
Yep, same here. I contacted Serpent, who is a moderator, and she said the same thing. The administrator is currently on a business trip to Poland. I'm sure that the mods will be in touch with him soon. At least this administrator is active and reachable.

Edited by iguanamon on 06 December 2016 at 10:33pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Rhian
France
Joined 6279 days ago

265 posts - 288 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 7
06 December 2016 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
I have already messaged him but have not had a
reply yet. It's only been a couple of hours since I
wrote him though. If I remember correctly, we get
the error because of our hosting. We might need to
look at changing hosting as we get busier. At the
moment Rdearman is paying for it from his own
pocket. The mod team will definitely have a chat
about options as I know Rdearman doesn't want to be
solely and fully responsible for the forum anyway
(he
wants to contribute but prefers a team effort, "no
single point of failure").

Edited by Rhian on 06 December 2016 at 10:21pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Rhian
France
Joined 6279 days ago

265 posts - 288 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 7
07 December 2016 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
Reply from Rdearman: hosting company looking into
it, appears to be DB issue.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 5 of 7
07 December 2016 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
We have a FB group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/807522105967801/
There's also wikia.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6485 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 7
07 December 2016 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
It isn't fair that RDearman should pay all of the hosting expenses for Language-Learners out of his own pocket, but if (or when) the decision is taken to get a proper funding system I hope it will be simpler than the one we have got here at HTLAL.

In the meantime the first priority must be to get it up and running again - and then it will become visible how well the the backup procedures of the current host have worked. It has been fairly common for some time to get an ominous message about too many connections, and the day before the breakdown the number was unusually high. That could suggest that some kind of buffer has been overloaded, with dire consequences. Maybe such a server should be rebooted regularly to function well.

In the meantime it is good to have HTLAL. I have not written much here lately (since few people would be around to read it), but I have been here regularly to check for new ID applications - and the last year or so we have got more applications than actual new messages. This is sad for those of us who where here during its heyday, but HTLAL is still an unsurpassed treasure trove - at least for those who can use the search facilities. And then we are back at the funding problem, since the restrictions on searches were introduced as part of a scheme to make the users of HTLAL pay the expenses.

Btw I'm amazed at the speed of HTLAL right now!

Edited by Iversen on 07 December 2016 at 3:42pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 7 of 7
07 December 2016 at 5:13pm | IP Logged 
The main site is up again.

Yeah HTLAL has been fast but we all know how slow it will get even with 50 users online at the same time :/

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version