Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
ohaye
United Kingdom
Joined 2675 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Studies: Japanese

Message 1 of 5
19 February 2017 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
I'm going abroad next week for two weeks - one of my main concerns (yep i'm sad) is that
i'm not going to be able to study during this time.. if I am able to squeeze in some
studying I don't think i'd be able to concentrate properly. Will I forget a lot? What do
others do? Thanks
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5007 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 2 of 5
20 February 2017 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
I would suggest the "hidden moments" approach:

since it is expectedly harder than usual to find time to study, concentrate in doing stuff that require as little time and/or equipment as possible so you can do it wherever, whenever you have a moment.

An obvious example would be keeping a flashcards deck / mobile application handy at all times for vocabulary review.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3833 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 3 of 5
20 February 2017 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
Ohaye, welcome to the forum!

I found mrwarper's suggestion both interesting and promising. I would add that, some years ago, I was faced with a similar situation and I included some study materials in my baggage for a two-week vacation in the South. I tried, I seriously tried, to get in a few study hours, but the sun, the sea and all of the pleasurable activities that had prompted me to visit that particular destination refused to relax their hold on me ... and so much the better! Frankly, I suggest that you enjoy your vacation, forget about your studies and everything else that relates to your regular routine. Simply enjoy yourself and return to the daily grind filled with renewed vigour, that's what vacations are for!

You might wish to know that, owing to the difficulties associated with the maintenance of this forum, a new forum replacing this one, was launched circa eighteen months ago. The "more active" members have registered on the new forum:

A LANGUAGE LEARNER'S FORUM

See y'all over there!

Edited by Speakeasy on 20 February 2017 at 9:49pm

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5007 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 4 of 5
21 February 2017 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
I am registered over there yet I find the term "replace" a bit of a stretch ;)

Speakeasy's words are true as well. That's exactly what's happening to me right now with my physical routine, which makes the same phenomenon even more evident -- there's nothing like taking full breaks from your activities and getting back to them with renewed energies, so you must combine both wisely. If you need to add a little study to your holidays to stay at ease, all the better -- if it starts causing burnout, drop it and have a rest. In the end it's up to you to find your own balance, the one that makes you progress the most, however you define it.

BTW, ohaye, I had seen you had joined recently but not just yesterday so I overlooked that was your first post -- welcome! :)

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3833 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 5 of 5
21 February 2017 at 2:38am | IP Logged 
mrwarper, you are free to express your support the HTLAL. Nevertheless, most people would readily accept the English idiom a bit of a stretch as meaning "a mild exaggeration beyond the truth or what is likely to be the case."

If you wish to defend your assertion that I have exaggerated in this regard, I suggest that you do so by providing statistics as to the number of active members and the number posts, over the past twelve months, for each of the two forums.

Furthermore, were you to check the appropriate discussion threads on the HTLAL, you would discover that the members charged with its maintenance and with the launching of the new forum clearly indicated that the latter was, indeed, a replacement of the former.

Grump, grump, grump!

Edited by Speakeasy on 21 February 2017 at 3:08am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version