Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
caters
United States
Joined 3674 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Studies: French

Message 1 of 3
05 January 2018 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
Assuming I stay in the US, should I learn Spanish, French, or German as a second language? I am more interested in French and have always dreamed of going to France, eating French food. But at the same time French is rare in the US. My best chance of finding someone fluent in French in the US is to fly or drive down to the lower counties of Louisiana. And even then, I don’t doubt a bit that US French would be different from French in France.

Spanish is a popular second language throughout the US so I would have a much better chance of finding someone in Ohio that is fluent in Spanish, especially considering that there are lots of Mexican-Americans. So I could learn Spanish faster without going to Europe. But at the same time I don’t have as much passion for Spanish.

German is the 3rd most spoken language in Ohio and I would also have a better chance of finding someone fluent in German in these states:

• Michigan
  • Indiana
  • Illinois
  • Kentucky
  • Missouri
  • Georgia
  • North Dakota
  • South Dakota
  • Iowa
  • Wisconsin
  • Minnesota
  • Nebraska
  • Oklahoma
  • Texas
  • Montana
  • New Mexico

So should I learn French which I have a passion for but is only spoken significantly in Louisiana, Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont in the US, should I learn Spanish which is popular in every state and would have a higher chance of learning via socialization but don’t have as much of a passion for, or should I learn German which is spoken in many but not all states?

I would love to visit Texas someday, partly because at all Subways in Texas they have gluten free bread as an option whereas in Ohio, I would have to call every manager to see if they have it as an option and where(and would probably get no every time). But I would not want to go to Texas in the summer. It already gets into the low 100s for 3-4 days in Ohio but in Texas you are talking about more than 20 days at 100 degrees or above.

Edited by caters on 05 January 2018 at 6:08am

1 person has voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3811 days ago

507 posts - 1097 votes 
Studies: German

Message 2 of 3
05 January 2018 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
First, welcome to the forum!

Second, you would have a better chance of meeting someone who speaks English in all 50
American states, as well as in the commonwealths, possessions, and protectorates of the United
States. Sorry, I couldn't resist that one!

Third, for all practical purposes, the "active" members of this forum have registered on the
REPLACEMENT FORUM: A LANGUAGE LEARNERS' FORUM.   
I suggest that you do likewise and that you repost your question on the new forum. See you
over there!

KConn
United States
Joined 2488 days ago

13 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 3
10 January 2018 at 9:10am | IP Logged 
Spanish has more reach than French and German. The Latin America, Spain, North America
and even in Portugal, Spanish would be beneficial.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version