United States
Joined 5229 days ago

151 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Modern Hebrew, German, Spanish

Message 1 of 1
10 February 2019 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
Hello,

My name is Michael. I'm 29, live in Texas with my wife and two children (ages 5 and 2). I have been away from HTLAL
for a few years now. In the past, I have had mixed successes and failures in language learning. I got up to around a B-
1 level in Modern Hebrew, B-2 level in Classical Hebrew, and maybe a high A-2 or low B-1 level in German. However, I
have never been able to break the bubble into the B-2/Conversational fluent level. This is largely due to my wander-
lust, lack of structure, and waning diligence.    

So, my goal is to hit the B-2 level in Spanish (which I am currently around an A-2 level) by the end of this year. I plan to
use this as a Journal to keep a written log of my progress. Most posts will be quite boring as I list what I have done in a
given day, but I will also post milestone, small victories, as well as my set backs.

My plan is a fairly simple and straight-forward one. It is as follows:

1.) I will add 15 to 20 words from my Frequency Dictionary (by Routledge) per day to my Anki deck.

2.) I will complete at least one lesson of Assimil's Spanish course per day.

3.) I will spend at least one hour each morning studying my Spanish. If the above tasks do not take an hour, I will use
the remaining time to read or listen in the target language.

4.) 2-3 times per week, I will have 30 minute conversations with a native tutor on italki.

5.) I will speak Spanish with my compliant Mexican friends at work, of which there are quite a few.

Hopefully, this strategy will land me close to a B-2 level by the end of the year. 15 words per day should end up around
4,500 words. If anybody has any suggestions, thoughts, or critiques of my plan, I would be very grateful to hear them.

All the best,
Michael

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version