Gibraltar
Joined 6825 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 17
01 November 2006 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
Alijsh wrote:
For example, in handwriting, instead of two dots (..) we write (–).

In Arabic, handwriting is slightly different (but not much) to the printed forms in order to write faster. Is this the same in Persian?
1 person has voted this message useful

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6413 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Turkish, Irish
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 17
01 November 2006 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
Those who are learning Persian are probably aware of the well-known site www.easypersian.com. But another tremendous (and free) Internet resource that often seems overlooked is "Persian For Beginners" by Iraj Bashiri. The textbook is available as a PDF file, and several hours of downloadable audio are there too.

Here's the address, though it's probably easier just to Google it:

http://www.iles.umn.edu/faculty/bashiri/Lessons%20folder/PfB index.html
2 persons have voted this message useful

Pizquita
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6427 days ago

13 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, Italian
Studies: Persian

Message 11 of 17
02 November 2006 at 6:22am | IP Logged 
I have studied the Bashiri lessons before, but I'd prefere the Easypersian site which shows more comprehensive step by step, then I'm studying this site now. Well, I also revise, sometimes, those Bashiri lessons for some details.
I think the Bashiri lessons are equally very good with its audio sounds.

Magister, what you have written the address is wrong, so I'm going to write this right one: Bashiri's Persian lessons

Edited by Pizquita on 02 November 2006 at 6:27am

Alijsh
Tetraglot
Iran
jahanshiri.ir/
Joined 6432 days ago

149 posts - 167 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Persian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: German, Italian

Message 12 of 17
05 November 2006 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
Dear Pizquita,

I looked at the first four lessons of Bashiri. Grammar has been explained well but there are mistakes in transliteration, uncommon words/phrases, etc.

For example, we don't say daraxt but deraxt. salâm aleykom is an uncommon phrase. It's never used among friends as shown in the examples. It's uncommon to say chi ast (what is) but che chizi ast or chist, ki ast (who is) but che kasi ast. (they are possible but uncommon)

Another example, you want to say 6:45; he has written haft rob' kam whereas we say yek rob' be haft

EasyPersian's goodness is that it has all words and sentences read by a native.

NOTE - However and whichever you say you'll be understood by native speakers.

I know another site but it doesn't offer its course online. I found two songs from Andy with their lyrics and translation:

http://persianintexas.org/songs/SalameAshequne.html

http://persianintexas.org/songs/Veda.html

If you browse in the site you can find more materials.

Edited by Alijsh on 05 November 2006 at 11:26pm

Pizquita
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6427 days ago

13 posts - 14 votes

Message 13 of 17
06 November 2006 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
Thank you very much Ali.

I made a little mistake what I have explained not clearly on that previous thread. I meant that only I thought the Bashiri lessons's audios are equally good. And I meant that the Easypersian lessons are the best ones than ever which I'm studying now.

I knew it, when I skimmed the Bashiri lessons a longtime ago, it has got me, sometimes, so confused about the words like you have just explained me: daraxt (deraxt), etc. Then I stopped to continue those lessons to learn back the Esasypersian. So I recommend this marvellous Easypersian site.

What you said salâm aleykom was a uncommon sentence, I knew it because it got me confused and I thought it came from Arabic language. One Persian friend of mine told me that it was wrong but I didn't get his explanation on time.

I just visited Persaintexas.org for the first time today. I feel that some of the words are something wrong as well. I'm not sure but tell me if I'm wrong. I browsed the vocabulary of Andy's song and I found vâsam = for me, to me. I think the correct Persian word is: barâye man (for me) and bâ man (to me), are these correct, Ali? Or, I think maybe they would be correct since they are informal?

I can't believe what I have just seen the first board table of the reference where says finglish. I have never heard it! It doesn't make sense. It's supposed to be the word transliteration.

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6413 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Turkish, Irish
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 17
06 November 2006 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, Alijsh, for your thoughts concerning the Bashiri site. I don't know enough Persian yet to be able to make an accurate judgment, although daraxt did confuse me too after learning it as deraxt in the old Teach Yourself Persian by John Mace.

If I remember correctly, the site taught the plural suffix -ha, but then included the alternate plural suffix -an in the exercises without explanation, which bothered me. (By the way, I don't yet know how to insert diacritical marks here -- sorry)

Are either you or Pizquita familiar with this textbook? You can click the cover to see a sample chapter and hear some audio.

Alijsh
Tetraglot
Iran
jahanshiri.ir/
Joined 6432 days ago

149 posts - 167 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Persian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: German, Italian

Message 15 of 17
07 November 2006 at 1:35am | IP Logged 
-=- Dear Pizquita -=-

You're welcome.

So, associated audio files have good quality. I'll later try some of them and I'll tell you my opinion. However, while the dialogues have uncommon/incorrect phrases the quality is somewhat faded.

Pizquita wrote:
I just visited Persaintexas.org for the first time today. I feel that some of the words are something wrong as well. I'm not sure but tell me if I'm wrong. I browsed the vocabulary of Andy's song and I found vâsam = for me, to me. I think the correct Persian word is: barâye man (for me) and bâ man (to me), are these correct, Ali? Or, I think maybe they would be correct since they are informal?

no mistake. Yes, in spoken Persian we say vâsam and also vâse man. It's easy; just add personal endings to vâs: vâsam (for me), vâsat (for you: pour toi), vâsaš, etc.

bâhâm (with me), behem (to me), azam (from me)

Don't panic! It's easy to learn when explained. I'll begin writing a tutorial about spoken Persian. Seems dear Hasan doesn't have any lesson on spoken Persian in easypersian.

Where did you see fingilish? fingilish is different from transliteration. transliteration is a standard alphabet completely demonstrating pronunciation but fingilish is just a way to write Persian in the English alphabet (no diacritical characters). It doesn't show correct pronunciation.

You must be a native or advanced learner to be able to read texts written in fingilish.

fingilish doesn't have a standard form; anybody writes it as s/he likes. for example, u of Perso-Latin is usually written as ou, oo; or i is written as ee by some people.

Here at Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fingilish you can read more about it.

-=- Dear Magister -=-
Magister wrote:
If I remember correctly, the site taught the plural suffix -ha, but then included the alternate plural suffix -an in the exercises without explanation, which bothered me. (By the way, I don't yet know how to insert diacritical marks here -- sorry)

No problem on diacritical marks. I understand what you mean.

-ân is not an alternate suffix for . -ân is basically used for anything having life (animates i.e. it's not used for objects) e.g. deraxtân (trees), giyâhân (plants), zanân (women), pedarân (fathers), dânešmandân (scientists).

Please note that you can still make plural form of animates using -hâ. Concerning colloquial Persian we always use -hâ to make plural.

- I'll download the sample chapter to see how it is.

Edited by Alijsh on 07 November 2006 at 11:03am

Pizquita
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6427 days ago

13 posts - 14 votes

Message 16 of 17
07 November 2006 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
Alijsh wrote:

Don't panic! It's easy to learn when explained. I'll begin writing a tutorial about spoken Persian. Seems dear Hasan doesn't have any lesson on spoken Persian in easypersian.

Where did you see fingilish? fingilish is different from transliteration...

Thanks for the understanding explanation, dear Alijsh. Sure, I guess I can learn easily when explained :D .

Here you are the link where you can find "fingilish":   
http://persianintexas.org/reference/WhatTimeIsIt1.html

Dear Magister.
I've never visited it before. I have no comments and we'd better wait for what Alijsh says since he's Persian native and has a great experience in Persian linguistc.

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version