United States
Joined 7012 days ago

40 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, French

Message 1 of 4
08 March 2005 at 6:21pm | IP Logged 
Hey everyone,
I too just joined this forum, which I think was a great idea to make. I'm only 15 years old, and I live in the United States. My native language, then, is English, and while I've taken spanish in school for a few years now, I am not close to fluency. Recently, I've decided to attempt reading newspapers and such to aid this.
Anyhow, I've decided to try and teach myself Mandarin, which I began 7 or 8 months ago, and seems to be going pretty successful.
- Jeremy
1 person has voted this message useful

administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7186 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 4
09 March 2005 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
Blackr00t, welcome to the forum!

What level did you already reach in Mandarin? How many characters are you familiar with (reading)?

blackr00t
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 7012 days ago

40 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, French

Message 3 of 4
09 March 2005 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
Francois,
As of now I'm just finishing up Pimsleur's mandarin III. I did level I as well as II. As for character building (excuse the pun), I bought the book 250 Essential Chinese Characters, which I found rather helpful. Because of the high recommendations for flashcard use, I experimented with Flashcards 888. Beyond that there hasn't been much else. I've attempted to listen to radio transmissions (Radio Canada International), and can only understand a few words now and then (they speak fast! )
I would estimate that I know around 150-200 characters. By now, I suppose I should know more, however schoolwork often prevents me from maintaining a continuous study.

By the way, has anyone tried Living Language Mandarin or the separate modules sold at multilingual books ?

Edited by blackr00t on 09 March 2005 at 9:38pm

Malcolm
Triglot
Retired Moderator
Korea, South
Joined 7125 days ago

500 posts - 515 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Korean
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 4 of 4
12 March 2005 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
blackr00t:

I've used Living Language "Ultimate" Mandarin (the one with 8 CD's) and it's quite good. You should be able to get a lot out of it after finishing Mandarin III. However, one of the speakers on the recordings has a really terrible "non-standard" accent. You'll be able to recognize him easily. Unfortunately, they keep using his voice on the majority of the recordings. The rest of the speakers speak perfect Mandarin. Overall, I think it's a worthwhile beginner-intermediate level course.

I also have Module 9 of Standard Chinese, which I ordered from the NTIS. I've tried it out and it's quite impressive. The dialogs are at regular speed and the grammar/vocabulary is probably at the intermediate level. The only problem I have with this course is that it's on cassettes (I don't have a portable cassette player). However, I plan on converting it to mp3 format soon to make it more portable.

The 888 Chinese Flashcards that you're using are really excellent and rewarding, but there's another older deck with 1375 cards designed to accompany a set of books called Elementary Chinese Readers. However, it has more useless vocabulary than the 888 deck.

As for Radio Canada International, I'm not sure which program you're listening to, but you should try this one instead of the news:

http://www.rcinet.ca/rci/ch/cours.shtml

This is a course in Mandarin for learning English, and it's really easy to understand. I really doubt it's effective for learning English, but it's an excellent way to practice your passive Mandarin skills! BTW, this course is available in several other languages.

Edited by Malcolm on 12 March 2005 at 12:07am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version