randy310
United States
Joined 6859 days ago

117 posts - 117 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 9 of 12
07 August 2005 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
Nephilim,

I believe your statistics is quite sound on this. I think you would have a fairly accurate estimate.
1 person has voted this message useful

laxxy
Triglot
United States
Joined 6913 days ago

172 posts - 177 votes 
Speaks: Ukrainian, Russian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 10 of 12
12 August 2005 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
I'd suggest you to pick a book that is interesting to you (I'd avoid XIX century "classics", and would rather get some modern paperback fiction: the vocabulary there will be smaller and more relevant), and to try reading it, without trying to translate, understand and learn each word -- just the ones that are crucial for understanding.
Some words will come up again and again, and once you look them up several times you'll learn them.
Plus, this will familiarize you with the language and the most common expressions.
Some ppl think that translated literature is easier, I am not sure if that's the case, but you may try that.
Places like lib.ru or litportal.ru will give you enough material if you like reading off the monitor or if you would like to just browse and find something interesting.

administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7170 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 12
12 August 2005 at 10:43am | IP Logged 
Laxxy, thanks for your interest in my Russian! Yes, this is exactly what I decided to do, and bought a ton of novels translated from American English (Tom Clancy for instance). I also bought the original novels just in case. The problem I have is the number of words describing actions (he jumped, shrugged, bounced, leaped, etc...) which in Russian translate in two different words every time.

The only thing I could not buy is the time to read them - let me know if you can sell me some!

I'll keep you posted about my progress or lack thereof.

Edited by administrator on 12 August 2005 at 2:33pm

laxxy
Triglot
United States
Joined 6913 days ago

172 posts - 177 votes 
Speaks: Ukrainian, Russian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 12 of 12
12 August 2005 at 11:49am | IP Logged 
This method greatly helped me with my English some time ago. Once I get better with my Japanese I'll probably try the same thing.

administrator wrote:
The problem I have is the number of words describing actions (he jumped, shrugged, bounced, leaped, etc...) which in Russian translate in two different words every time.

Yes, the words are not usually translated 1:1... And both English and Russian have a lot of words to distinguish shades of meaning, but they are used and formed so totally differently (English uses synonims, and Russian has prefixes and suffixes) that almost always something is going to be lost in translation... but for a learner that might be a good thing as the vocabulary of a translated book will be generally more useful.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version