Language Learning Forum : Lessons in Polyglottery Post Reply
26 messages over 4 pages: 1 24  Next >>

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6491 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 26
13 November 2006 at 3:53am | IP Logged 
KSaku39 wrote:
"And I remember that I switched to a 36 hour day for the last couple of months to get more time to work. But of course I switched back to 24 hours as soon as the paper was finished."

That is amazing ... what was your schedule like during this period? That kind of intense self discipline and focus explains how you learned five languages.

Well, I learnt more than five languages, but not during that period. I just went to bed later and later and compensated by taken a nap in the middle of each work period (without that nap it wouldn't work). I ended up with 36 hours between each 'long' sleep period. The reason that it was necessary was that I had chosen a syntactical subject with ramifications to all corners of the sentence construction in French, and at a relatively late moment during my writing process I decided that I needed a quantitative angle. So I simply counted all types of sentence constructions in a corpus of 10.000 pages and that took a long time.

Edited by Iversen on 13 November 2006 at 3:55am

1 person has voted this message useful

gidler
Finland
Joined 6411 days ago

109 posts - 118 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Finnish*

Message 18 of 26
14 November 2006 at 7:14am | IP Logged 
KSaku39 wrote:
gidler wrote:
I also have that "rage to master" you mentioned, but it tends to rage inconsistently for everything between heaven and earth. Just yesterday I had serious trouble keeping myself from starting Russian.

Maybe you should use Ardaschir's method and start it? You could switch between the three languages and study in half hour blocks. Provided, of course, that you have some free time.

I've been playing with the idea. But assuming that I wouldn't start confusing the languages with each other (I recall Ardaschir said he was skilled at keeping languages separate), reaching fluency in even one of them would be considerably prolonged. Studying lots of languages at the same time also requires much patience - most likely more than I would be able to gather.

Has anyone else tried studying three, four or more languages at the same time?

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6556 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 19 of 26
14 November 2006 at 8:15am | IP Logged 
Plenty of people here do, including me; but I always give priority to one language (Japanese this year) and do the others in my spare time.

TDC
Triglot
United States
Joined 6709 days ago

261 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, French
Studies: Esperanto, Ukrainian, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Persian

Message 20 of 26
14 November 2006 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
Every day I study: Russian, Chinese, French, Spanish, Italian, and German.

It's more interesting, and I think I remember more because I don't try to learn a lot for any of the languages. So what I do study I tend to retain. I love getting to enjoy each of these languages every day. For me this is the best way to learn, by taking little chunks of the language, and get acquainted with it over a long period of time, divide and conquer, as they say.

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6653 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 21 of 26
14 November 2006 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
For those of us who commute by public transport, we have a great luxury of lots of "dead" time we can use for language study. I commute everyday for 3 hours to and from work. In this time, I have lots of time to read through my flash cards and/or listen to dialogues on my MP3 player. I do about 1 hour a night after I get in, sometimes less.

autodidactic
Bilingual Triglot
United States
tinyurl.com/cunningl
Joined 6411 days ago

100 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Kazakh

Message 22 of 26
15 November 2006 at 7:02am | IP Logged 
Not to be cynic or judge anyone, but my number 1 motivator for learning languages is communicating with that language's speakers. Spending so much time studying means you learn the language but you keep it to yourself, doesn't it?

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6556 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 23 of 26
15 November 2006 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
autodidactic wrote:
Not to be cynic or judge anyone, but my number 1 motivator for learning languages is communicating with that language's speakers. Spending so much time studying means you learn the language but you keep it to yourself, doesn't it?

As I like pointing out, the time the average American spends watching television could be used to learn a new language every year! I can easily spend two hours a day on Japanese, 30 minutes on another language, and have time for socializing.

Nor is language learning always solitary. Ideally, you'll be interacting with speakers of your target language a whole lot while studying.

Andy_Liu
Triglot
Hong Kong
leibby.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6574 days ago

255 posts - 257 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, Cantonese*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 24 of 26
17 November 2006 at 10:37am | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:

As I like pointing out, the time the average American spends watching television could be used to learn a new language every year! I can easily spend two hours a day on Japanese, 30 minutes on another language, and have time for socializing.

Two hours! May I know how can this be possible? As a university student, I spend 3 hours per day, 4 days per week in my German major. But I simply can't watch German TV in weekends because of assignments/work in other subjects.

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version