Spain
Joined 6681 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 141
25 December 2006 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
Really advanced stuff all this. Serpent you'll be at doctor's thesis level at Finnish in no time :).

Anyways, "ei keneltäkään" is simply "from no one" in English. Nothing strange there and no part of the meaning is lost either afaics.

I was familiar with the old "mi" form, especially from the lyrics of old songs, but not with "min". It is clear from context what it means there and I agree with Gidler's comments.
1 person has voted this message useful

gidler
Finland
Joined 6410 days ago

109 posts - 118 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Finnish*

Message 18 of 141
25 December 2006 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
Hencke wrote:
Really advanced stuff all this. Serpent you'll be at doctor's thesis level at Finnish in no time :).

Indeed :)

Hencke wrote:
Anyways, "ei keneltäkään" is simply "from no one" in English. Nothing strange there and no part of the meaning is lost either afaics.

Okay, good to know. I wasn't sure if it was language-specific.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 19 of 141
26 December 2006 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
mi is an old form of mikä, but min is not an old form of minkä..and I thought Finnish was a logical language :D No, just kidding, I still think it is!
gidler wrote:
Serpent wrote:
Keneltä sä sait * ?

• kukka
• kukkia (correct answer)
• kukan (your response)
• kukkaa

"Kukan" and "kukkia" are both correct. It's just a difference between singular and plural. I guess people usually give more than one flower though. :)

Really? It's not that obvious for me:) At least here it's pretty equally common, although if the occasion is important probably more flowers are given (:
Quote:
Hehe:) I'll try my best :D

Edited by Serpent on 26 December 2006 at 11:18am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 20 of 141
10 January 2007 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
Just came home from my winter holidays, it was great to study Finnish for 8 hours almost every day:-)
I did the FSI course, shadowed a lot of dialogues from Teach Yourself Finnish and did grammar excercises.

I also flirted with the Karelian language a bit (I mean the one which is spoken in the Republic of Karelia in Russia). Didn't get too far with it though..

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 21 of 141
11 January 2007 at 6:57am | IP Logged 
There was an excercise in FSI with the example Tarvitsetko mitään kaupasta, and then you should change kaupasta to postista etc... could jotakin be used in such sentences instead of mitään? is the meaning different then?

gidler
Finland
Joined 6410 days ago

109 posts - 118 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Finnish*

Message 22 of 141
11 January 2007 at 7:52am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
There was an excercise in FSI with the example Tarvitsetko mitään kaupasta, and then you should change kaupasta to postista etc... could jotakin be used in such sentences instead of mitään? is the meaning different then?

Yes, jotakin works too. The meaning becomes slightly different and is easily explained by translating into English:
Tarvitsetko mitään kaupasta? = Do you need anything from the store?
Tarvitsetko jotakin kaupasta? = Do you need something from the store?
I hope this helps.

EDIT: On second thought, in this example there doesn't seem to be any significant difference either in Finnish or in English. :) Jotakin and mitään can be used interchangeably here.

Edited by gidler on 11 January 2007 at 7:56am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 23 of 141
16 January 2007 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
A few questions again...

-Is there any difference between various ways to say what smb has to do (pitää, täytyy, on pakko, on tehtävä)?

-In indefinite sentences, is the accusative object in the nominative or the genitive? (Mistä voi ostaa tämän kirjan or Mistä voi ostaa tämä kirja?) I've always thought it´s in the genitive, but recently noticed some native speakers using the nominative here 0_0 And what about sentences with genitive+kannattaa/ei kannata? I think I've read that after them the object is in the nominative, but I'm not sure..

-A couple of sentences in Teach Yourself Finnish made me confused:
Onko sinussa kuumetta?
Ehkä sinussa on flunssa.
I learnt that the adessive should be used here and not the inessive, is this another way to say the same?

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6681 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 24 of 141
16 January 2007 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
-Is there any difference between various ways to say what smb has to do (pitää, täytyy, on pakko, on tehtävä)?

There is not a big difference, except that "on pakko" is stronger than the other ones, something like should, must, have to and absolutely am forced to. Also, to me "täytyy" feels like a slightly stronger "must" than "pitää", but it's a very small difference.

Serpent wrote:
-In indefinite sentences, is the accusative object in the nominative or the genitive? (Mistä voi ostaa tämän kirjan or Mistä voi ostaa tämä kirja?) I've always thought it´s in the genitive, but recently noticed some native speakers using the nominative here 0_0

I would use the genitive there too, based on instinct, but I am not sure what the rule is and whether it is changing in colloquial everyday use.

Serpent wrote:
And what about sentences with genitive+kannattaa/ei kannata? I think I've read that after them the object is in the nominative, but I'm not sure..

You lost me here: gen + kannattaa, like "minun kannattaa ...". That would be followed by a verb in infinitive. I can't see how it could be followed by an object, but I might be missing something. It would be easier if you gave a complete sentence.

Serpent wrote:

-A couple of sentences in Teach Yourself Finnish made me confused:
Onko sinussa kuumetta?
Ehkä sinussa on flunssa.
I learnt that the adessive should be used here and not the inessive, is this another way to say the same?

Yes, normally you'd use "sinulla".

"Sinussa" is another variation that is perfectly correct too. Literally it means "is there fever in you" instead of the more normal "do you have a fever".

This discussion contains 141 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version