Spain
Joined 6654 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 33
26 December 2006 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
First, about the music: It is all well and good if you like heavy stuff like the bands mentioned, but slightly softer music styles might be better for language learning, as you'll be able to distinguish the words more easily. There are many alternatives but I could recommend you try to listen to anything you can get your hands on by Hector who has penned a number of masterpieces in song's lyrics over the years, own stuff as well as translations of international hits. And Juice Leskinen, who sadly passed away about a month ago, was an absolute genius at twisting and stretching the language around and playing games with it in his lyrics.

That impressive link collection posted by Serpent can perhaps be completed with this
link to the FSI courses, inlcuding Finnish. The audio is all there and if I have understood correctly the written material is under way too.

FallingStar wrote:
I still have some serious problems to find the right pronunciation of ä,ö and SPECIALLY of y in some words like "Jyrki",for instance...I realise it sounds like an "u" but at the same time it doesn't sound like an ordinary "u"...It's a closer sound...

Hmmm, I suppose you could say it is sort of close to "u" but it is very clearly different too. I am sure the audio course referenced above can help there. But otherwise, the Finnish y is very close to the German ü, or the French u in perdu, if that helps (?). And ä is like a in UK-English "and". Also ö is similar to German ö, and also to French "eux" or "oeuf".

FallingStar wrote:
I wouldn't dare to write in the Finnish thread yet,but ...

No reason to be timid. As I wrote in the initial post when I started the Finnish thread, don't worry about the level, if you can say anything at all you are very welcome to say it there.

Edited by Hencke on 26 December 2006 at 2:19pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 10 of 33
26 December 2006 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
About heavy music, it depends. Of course black or death metal are not very useful in this sense, but I don't see a reason why soft stuff is better for language learning than other genres of metal with more distinguishable styles of singing. When I just started, I found the songs by Teräsbetoni much easier to understand than the ones by Uniklubi, although the latter band plays softer music - their lyrics are mostly about love, so they sing in a more colloquial language, while Teräsbetoni sing about fighting for metal, so the language of their lyrics is more standard.
By the way, not all the stuff that I recommended is that heavy :-)
And shame on me, haven't checked Juice Leskinen's songs yet:(

FallingStar
Groupie
Argentina
Joined 6312 days ago

82 posts - 85 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*
Studies: Finnish, English

Message 11 of 33
01 January 2007 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
Hi guys! I don't know if this is the right place (since in this journal I should talk about progress :'( )or if it's "personal self-study questions" but I have some questions to make...

"Minä en ole kotoisin kaupungista,vaan maalta. Minä tulen vihdistä"

Shouldn't it be "minä en oleN..."?? has the negation something to do with that change?? or have I made a copy mistake??

and then...as far as I know,in Finnish,when you're talking about possession you have to add a suffix after the word stem right?...like when you say "minun nimeni on" you're changing the word "name" to denotate possession...but why is it necessary to use the word "minun" (my) if the suffix in the "name" word ITSELF is denotating possession??

I'm also having problems with the partitive and the nominative...=S I can't understand them...

could you help me with those doubts??

I hope I've been clear...

Bye!

Edited by FallingStar on 01 January 2007 at 6:09pm

FallingStar
Groupie
Argentina
Joined 6312 days ago

82 posts - 85 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*
Studies: Finnish, English

Message 12 of 33
01 January 2007 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
By the way! This link: http://www.ddg.com/LIS/InfoDesignF97/paivir/finnish/sitemap. html

doesn't work for me anymore,does it work for you? It's a shame cause it was a really good and clear website about finnish grammar ='(

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6654 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 33
02 January 2007 at 2:49am | IP Logged 
FallingStar wrote:
"Minä en ole kotoisin kaupungista,vaan maalta. Minä tulen vihdistä"

Shouldn't it be "minä en oleN..."?? has the negation something to do with that change?? or have I made a copy mistake??

You have copied correctly, except that it should be "Vihdistä", as Vihti is a geographical name and should be capitalised.

Welcome to the fascinating world of Finnish grammar weirdness: The negative is constructed exactly like you see in that example.

The word "not" = "ei" is itself used as an auxiliary verb, and the main verb does not change: I am not - minä en ole, you are not - sinä et ole, hän ei ole, me emme ole etc. get the picture?

FallingStar wrote:
and then...as far as I know,in Finnish,when you're talking about possession you have to add a suffix after the word stem right?...like when you say "minun nimeni on" you're changing the word "name" to denotate possession...but why is it necessary to use the word "minun" (my) if the suffix in the "name" word ITSELF is denotating possession??

It is actually ok to leave out "minun" in that case, though you often use it anyway. But if it is third person you cannot leave it out: "hänen nimensä on ...". I don't have a good explanation why this is so. Better just accept it as the rule and learn to use it.

FallingStar wrote:
I'm also having problems with the partitive and the nominative...=S I can't understand them...

That is a little bit too general to be able to answer. But yes, nominative, partitive and all the other cases can be tricky and you will need to spend a lot of time on each of them, both learning how to form them and how to use them.

breckes
Triglot
Groupie
Belgium
Joined 6559 days ago

84 posts - 89 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Russian
Studies: Italian, Dutch, Swedish

Message 14 of 33
14 January 2007 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
Yesterday, I heard at a concert Islaja, a Finnish singer. It's rather soft music. You can hear a few songs here (Fonal jukebox), for example "Rohkaisulaulu" (there is also a video with this song in the section "video clips"). I have the lyrics (they are on the CD) :

jos tahdot voit valloittaa takaisin oman elämäsi
jos haluat niin se tee, se tee, se tee, se tee
on niin kauan siitä kun valitsit tiesi
sinua ohjasi joku joka kutsui itseään kohtaloksi mutta jonka hengitys haisi mädältä
pelkäsit maailmaa, näytä ettet enää niin tee niin tee…
jos haluat voit halkaista maailman huutamalla
jos haluat voit nauraa sen palasiksi se tee se tee se tee…
sinulle on opetettu että maailma on luotu tällaiseksi ja että sinun pitää tyytyä siihen
mutta jos tahdot voit valloittaa takaisin oman elämäsi
jos haluat niin se tee se tee…

I also recommend Kiila, for example "Väsäilyn luostari".

I don't understand anything, since I don't know Finnish, but Finnish is definitely on my hit list. I like very much how it sounds.

Edited by breckes on 14 January 2007 at 8:49am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 15 of 33
14 January 2007 at 12:03pm | IP Logged 
Hencke wrote:

It is actually ok to leave out "minun" in that case, though you often use it anyway. But if it is third person you cannot leave it out: "hänen nimensä on ...".
Hmm according to my textbook in the third person it also can be left out and even should be left out sometimes.. for example Hän on huoneessaan means He's in his room (in his own room), while Hän on hänen huoneessaan means that he's in someone else's room, and as there is no gender in Finnish this can be translated also as He's in her room...
I wonder how such sentences would sound in spoken Finnish, as possessive suffices are almost always left out in it, except with words like itse, toinen etc..

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6654 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 33
14 January 2007 at 1:22pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Hencke wrote:

It is actually ok to leave out "minun" in that case, though you often use it anyway. But if it is third person you cannot leave it out: "hänen nimensä on ...".
Hmm according to my textbook in the third person it also can be left out and even should be left out sometimes.. for example Hän on huoneessaan means He's in his room (in his own room), while Hän on hänen huoneessaan means that he's in someone else's room, ...

True. What I explained above applies when "his room" is the subject as in "hänen huoneensa on siisti" - "his room is tidy". There you cannot leave it out.

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version