Joined 6676 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 33 of 33
24 April 2007 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
there was a sentence "Näen meren" in an excercise (the task was to choose the correct case), is this one actually correct? I know that nähdä usually takes the accusative, but doesn't it here imply that the person sees the whole sea, ...

Yes, it's correct but I can't explain why, and you don't need to see all of the ocean from where you are to use that form.

But it is interesting to compare this sentence "to see the ocean" with "to plant flowers" that was mentioned before.

It is not as if "seeing the ocean" can mean that you are in the process of seeing it, and maybe halfway through right now, and once you have seen all of it, the "seeing" job has been completed and there is nothing more left to see.

This is how "seeing the ocean" is different from "planting flowers" and it is also the reason why you cannot turn it into a future action by using a different case for the object, as you can in the case of "planting flowers".

Edited by Hencke on 24 April 2007 at 1:07pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version