Groupie
IndiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6601 days ago

81 posts - 83 votes 
Speaks: Hindi*, English
Studies: German, Italian

Message 1 of 14
29 December 2006 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
I would like to know if anyone here has accomplished the task of learning one or several languages by self and has made a succesful career out of it also.

Or is there anyone seriously contemplating or pursuing such a goal ?

I know people are generally advised to take language abilities as "ancilliary skills"....but I have also come across many who have made it their sole career.

What are the hurdles and what are the advantages to undertaking this process of learning language(s) by self and then taking it to such a level so as to make a satisfying career out of it ?

For example, if we take German...prospective employers generally ask for either a university degree in German or equally welcome the highest diplomas awarded by Goethe Institue. In this context, for someone who only took and cleared the Goethe institute's exams as an external candidate rather than learning the language there itself, what are the negatives about this ?

Thanks!

-------
neo

1 person has voted this message useful

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6460 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 2 of 14
30 December 2006 at 5:14am | IP Logged 
neo wrote:
In this context, for someone who only took and cleared the Goethe institute's exams as an external candidate rather than learning the language there itself, what are the negatives about this ?

If they are the same exams, I don't see why a future employer should care if you were an external candidate or not. All that matters is the diploma itself and your actual language skills which will probably be tested during the job interview.

lady_skywalker
Triglot
Netherlands
aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6685 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, French, Dutch, Italian

Message 3 of 14
30 December 2006 at 5:21am | IP Logged 
I think few people make a career out of languages alone. Even people like Michel Thomas would have combined language skills with an ability to teach. Interpreters use languages in their jobs but they'd still need a good idea of how translation 'works'. I would honestly think that most people who use languages in their work will be using them alongside some other skill or trade. I've learnt the hard way that a language degree doesn't guarantee a job where you can use that language.

I think one of the few people that has become famous through language skills alone is the man who was the bane of my existence when studying Mandarin : Da Shan. He became famous in China purely for being able to speak the language like a native (something which many Westerners can do these days). At the time he appeared he was a rarity and became a national hero just because he could speak Mandarin.

Keith
Diglot
JapanRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6572 days ago

526 posts - 536 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 14
06 January 2007 at 5:32am | IP Logged 
neo wrote:
I would like to know if anyone here has accomplished the task of learning one or several languages by self and has made a succesful career out of it also.

Or is there anyone seriously contemplating or pursuing such a goal ?

Does this question mean "to make a career out of learning languages?" I sure would like to a career where I get paid to learn a language (and that's all.) If somebody could tell me where to apply, I'd be grateful.

It seems the only careers which come close to actually relying heavily on knowledge of foreign languages are in translation and interpretation. In those roles, your job is to know the languages and to use them correctly. Other jobs such as sales, just use foreign languages as tools. I think translation is difficult because of the gap between languages and it's hard to remember expressions you don't use in your own language. That's when you know there is a way to say it, but you can't recall the wording. And that would be in your native language. (Or am I the only one that happens to?)

Maybe there is a job somewhere, that pays you to evaluate language learning materials.

If you are a business person, you could import items that your competitors wouldn't be able to find. There are advantages to knowing foreign languages, but very few types of jobs that rely solely upon the knowledge of just languages.

If there are any other ideas, I'd like to hear them too.

japkorengchi
Hong Kong
Joined 6475 days ago

334 posts - 355 votes 

Message 5 of 14
06 January 2007 at 7:31am | IP Logged 
My Korean teacher makes his living by speaking Cantonese only.He's the only Korean who speaks good Cantonese in my memory; I can find Koreans speaking decent Mandarin but never for Cantonese. It seems Cantonese tones are not that easy for foreigners to grasp.

His living standard is really high by translating from Korean to Cantonese, teaching Korean, and publishing Korean grammar books(written in Mandarin).

Yet, he remains the few people who make a good life out by languages alone...

Among the many kinds of translators, I think court translators are paid the best. Yet, they have to be proficient in English, Cantonese, Mandarin and one more foreign language, and have some legal knowledge. These can’t be easily achieved because translation for law courts is extremely demanding…translation dialogues are almost instinct and mistakes are not tolerated at all..

Edited by japkorengchi on 06 January 2007 at 7:31am

rafaelrbp
Pentaglot
Brazil
Joined 6808 days ago

181 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Spanish, English, French, Italian
Studies: German

Message 6 of 14
06 January 2007 at 8:54am | IP Logged 
There is a serious problem when learning a language (or something else) alone, by self-study: the lack of certificates. Most employers ask for a confirmation that you actually have the proper skill to the job.

If I need to explain to someone where I learn a language, a good answer is: "I had a Spanish/french girlfriend for 2 years" or "I lived there for 3 months" or even "I learned from a private tutor". This justifies the lack of certificates. It's never safe to answer "by myself" as they usually think that it's not possible.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Qbe
Tetraglot
United States
joewright.org/var
Joined 6930 days ago

289 posts - 335 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Japanese, German, Mandarin, Aramaic

Message 7 of 14
06 January 2007 at 11:37am | IP Logged 
Khatzumoto over at alljapaneseallthetime.com says that he taught himself Japanese over the course of 18 months using self-immersion and then found an IT job in Japan.

He's my hero. I want to grow up to be like him someday.

It isn't necessarily out of reach. I intend to work harder this year and improve my Japanese to the point that I can start looking for a job where I can use the language, though probably here in the US.
2 persons have voted this message useful

solidsnake
Diglot
China
Joined 6836 days ago

469 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 8 of 14
06 January 2007 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
that blog is f**king amazing. Thanks for the link.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version