Diglot
Israel
Joined 5399 days ago

31 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English, Modern Hebrew*
Studies: German

Message 9 of 14
31 August 2009 at 10:40am | IP Logged 
Let me ask you this - how would you memorize auditory word lists? I wrote a vocabulary
course and converted it into audio using TTS. How can you memorize best based on hearing?
I thought I'd have music added to the background during the entire recording, knowing how
people easily memorize words they can relate to musical notes. Or maybe I should
have an inverted lesson for every regular lesson, and just go over the regular lesson a
couple of times until I get the inverted lesson about 80% right? I really need a good
strategy here, so if anyone has any ideas, I'd be glad if you shared them.

Edited by The Narrator on 31 August 2009 at 4:08pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5881 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 10 of 14
31 August 2009 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
This is interesting! Applying music theory to language learning. I don't know how you would invert a lesson. Do you mean starting the lesson from the end and going back through it?

Edited by Sunja on 31 August 2009 at 3:21pm

The Narrator
Diglot
Israel
Joined 5399 days ago

31 posts - 31 votes

Message 11 of 14
31 August 2009 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:
This is interesting! Applying music theory to language learning. I don't
know how you would invert a lesson. Do you mean starting the lesson from the end and
going back through it?

By inverting I mean giving the English definition before the target language word, and
having myself recall the target language word aloud in the small pause before the target
language word is played.
Hey, maybe some people from here would like to participate in a language-music experiment
I'll conduct? Just to listen to audio files and tell us what's their experience.

Edited by The Narrator on 31 August 2009 at 4:20pm

Lizzern
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5705 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 12 of 14
31 August 2009 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
The Narrator wrote:
Hey, maybe some people from here would like to participate in a language-music experiment I'll conduct? Just to listen to audio files and tell us what's their experience.

I'd be happy to try it out, if it's for one of the languages I've studied or want to study - there's an exhaustive-ish list in my language profile.

Liz

The Narrator
Diglot
Israel
Joined 5399 days ago

31 posts - 31 votes

Message 13 of 14
31 August 2009 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
Lizzern wrote:
The Narrator wrote:
Hey, maybe some people from here would like to
participate in a language-music experiment I'll conduct? Just to listen to audio files
and tell us what's their experience.

I'd be happy to try it out, if it's for one of the languages I've studied or want to
study - there's an exhaustive-ish list in my language profile.

Liz

It's in German. I tried out just now, and I found out it doesn't work automatically.
However, when I really tried to concentrate on the specific notes being played, I felt
like something was actually sinking in. I can't really assure you that something is
happing, I'll have to try for a few days and see how it turns out. The objective of the
experiment is to see if after several repetitions you can "play" the words in your head
according to the music, as if you're singing. So, if anyone else wants to try it, just
tell me, I'll very happy to provide you with the audio files.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6499 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 14
02 September 2009 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
I would generally say that taking the words directly from a target language dictionary beats everything for speed, but mostly when you already have a fair amount of vocabulary because you do have to memorize the words even with word lists, and knowing other similar or related words is a useful background for that (though imagery is also a possibility if you are a visual person, - 'funny' associations are a possibility, but I doubt that you can make them fast enough to compete with other methods).

Right now I'm sitting in a Greek town Florina, and I have bought some Greek magazines which I almost can understand, - and the majority of the words I don't know aren't found in my tiny dictionary. In spite of this have have made short notes about more than one hundred words from just one magazine that I would like to know - and know well. So I have simply used these notes as the base for a word list. In fact this would also be my preferred source with a language where I was a beginner, - such as I did last week in Serbia, but with the difference that I have to look up more words there.

And as usual: I use a three column format: Target - base - target language, and I memorize groups of 5-7 words because dragging words back from the brink of oblivion after having done something else is part of the memorizing process is part of the game. AND I now leave soma space on the same sheet for a repetition round, - but I have written more about all that elsewhere.

Wordlists aren't enough to learn even to understand a language and certainly not to speak or write it. But you need a lot of words to 'crack' a language, and I get most of mine through wordlists.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version