jmlgws
Canada
Joined 6901 days ago

102 posts - 104 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Mandarin

Message 1 of 4
06 January 2007 at 8:18am | IP Logged 
Could somebody give me a short tour of noted Spanish authors? In particular I would be looking for relatively "easy" reading at this point, say short stories, perhaps similar to Guy de Maupassant in French. It would be even better if I can get free text and audio for these authors :) Thanks.
1 person has voted this message useful

fazer6
Triglot
Spain
Joined 6330 days ago

19 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Italian, Swahili

Message 2 of 4
07 January 2007 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
The easiest novel I have ever read in Spanish was a translation of Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin, it's called La Semilla del Diablo. I was in New York and throught from the title it sounded like an apalling B movie and so must be easy to read. I was right. It's no wonderful piece of literature, but it's relatively interesting (in a B movie kind of way), and amusing. I read it just after living in Spain for 6 months and after a few pages read it without a dictionary it was that easy.

On the basis of that I figured Stephen King would be easy to read, but despite being a mass produced horror series, the level of vocab is quite high. It's taking me quite a while to read his books.

When I lived in Germany a guy from Curacao recommended The house of spirits by Isabelle Allende. I started with that and then worked my way through a few of her books in Spanish and a few english translations. If you stick to one author you will learn their style of writing and vocab they use. A mexican recommended Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Some of his books are quite short too. 100 Años de soledad and Cronica de una muerte anunciada should be good openers for someone starting to read literature.

Can you join a local university library? They'll definatly have allende and garcia marquez in english and Spanish.

FallingStar
Groupie
Argentina
Joined 6351 days ago

82 posts - 85 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*
Studies: Finnish, English

Message 3 of 4
08 January 2007 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
oh! yes,I think you definetly should try with Gabriel García Marquez and Isabel Allende.They're both amazing writers. 100 años de soledad,by García Marquez is one of the most wonderful books I've ever read,but if you're searching for short stories I would recommend you "crónica de una muerte anunciada" or "relato de un naufrago".

"la casa de los espíritus" by Isabel allende,is also a great novel.

The Spanish translations of Edgar allan Poe's tales are quite easy to understand too,so maybe you could try with them.

And if you enjoy the poetry,Pablo Neruda is one of the best latin american poets =)

chau!

Edited by FallingStar on 09 January 2007 at 10:40am

Cypher
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 6726 days ago

29 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Korean

Message 4 of 4
12 January 2007 at 11:49pm | IP Logged 
The newspaper is probably clearer and easier to read than any fiction. Unlike fiction, its primary function is to inform, so there won't be a lot of excessive descriptive language which, while colorful, may not always be immediately useful. If you're not already doing it, try reading the news in Spanish.

Google News has headline news for many countries, here's the link for Mexico: http://news.google.com/news?ned=es_mx

Edited by Cypher on 12 January 2007 at 11:51pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version