Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 25 of 42
16 February 2008 at 6:01am | IP Logged 
kealist wrote:
Here you go:
ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202973402&sr=1-2">Dictionary

Only $2470 new

Wow. Pricy. I was feeling guilty about shelling out a couple hundred bucks for an electronic dictionary...
1 person has voted this message useful

Talairan
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6412 days ago

194 posts - 258 votes 
Speaks: Afrikaans, English*, Gypsy/Romani, Dutch
Studies: Spanish, Flemish, Galician, Aramaic

Message 26 of 42
20 February 2008 at 9:21am | IP Logged 
Routledge has a course on Uzbek, but is a bit pricey at 330 USD. Grant and Cutler have it for 160 GBP. I have the audio for a course entitled Basic Uzbek, but am not sure if it is this one, or if there is, indeed any audio for this course. Wish Routledge would bring out a Colloquial Uyghur, or there was full audio for Hahn's Spoken Uyghur.

Ötkür
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4396 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*, Korean*, French
Studies: Uyghur, Kyrgyz, Persian, Mongolian

Message 27 of 42
26 May 2012 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
ياخشىمۇ سىز، مېنىڭ دوستلىرىم

I'm resuscitating this thread to pose the same question. Anyone currently studying Uyghur, or thinking of doing so?

For interested beginners with a good grasp of English but no reading knowledge of Chinese: (1) Indiana University's CeLCAR has published elementary and introductory textbooks [http://iub.edu/~celcar/language_textbooks.php] (and a new beginning textbook -- not sure if it differs in content from the former -- is apparently to be rolled out by CeLCAR partner Georgetown University Press in fall 2013); (2) Greetings from the Teklimakan: a handbook of Modern Uyghur is freely downloadable (PDF textbook plus audio files) at http://kuscholarworks.ku.edu/dspace/handle/1808/5624.

English/Uyghur dictionaries aren't very widely available outside of Xinjiang, and the excellent Uyghur/English dictionary by Henry G. Schwarz is out of print and rather hard to come across. If you don't have access to anything better, I suppose you could make do with Öztopçu's Dictionary of the Turkic Languages plus the online ones (the best one query-volume-limited and all of them pretty clunky).

More learner's resources, online and print, enumerated at http://www.lmp.ucla.edu/Search.aspx?MatID=0&LangID=69. Haven't personally evaluated all of them, but it looks like a fairly comprehensive list.

Background in Anatolian Turkish or Persian (Uyghur contains a very large body of Iranic loans) definitely helps but lack thereof, of course, shouldn't be a deterrent. With Uzbek, you're quite nearly already there ... but consider the caveats mentioned earlier in this thread.

Edited by Ötkür on 26 May 2012 at 12:35pm

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5228 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 28 of 42
26 May 2012 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
I've studied Greetings of the Teklimakan till lesson 8 or so, it's a really nice method for a fascinating language and culture.
The only slight drawback is that the audio is a bit too fast for beginners especially given the fact that spoken Uyghur is slurred. But, of course, this is also a good point as you're much better prepared to real speech.

The only other resource I used is Hahn's Spoken Uyghur but, while useful, it cannot compare to Greetings (imho).

Thanks for the link you provided.

Edited by akkadboy on 26 May 2012 at 12:34pm

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4998 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 29 of 42
26 May 2012 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
Year ago I had interest in this world area, and found some materials:
Japanese:
http://www.aa.tufs.ac.jp/ja/training/ilc/ilc-list/ilc-table
http://el.osaka-gaidai.ac.jp/flc/uig/index.html
and quite a few books in Chinese - but not freeware.

daristani
United States
Joined 6964 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 30 of 42
26 May 2012 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
For those interested in Uyghur, note that Dunwoody Press has published an "Uyghur Newspaper Reader" with accompanying audio, and they are reportedly going to publish a large Uyghur-English dictionary sometime soon.

http://www.dunwoodypress.com/

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5228 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 31 of 42
26 May 2012 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
daristani wrote:
For those interested in Uyghur, note that Dunwoody Press has published an "Uyghur Newspaper Reader" with accompanying audio, and they are reportedly going to publish a large Uyghur-English dictionary sometime soon.

http://www.dunwoodypress.com/

Thanks Daristani. Did you use it ? Is it only extracts and vocabulary list or is more "user friendly" ?

daristani
United States
Joined 6964 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 32 of 42
27 May 2012 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
The book has 45 reading selections, roughly increasing in length and difficulty as one progresses, along with vocabulary lists and some grammatical notes for each selection. There's also an English translation for each selection, and a complete glossary at the end of the book.

There are some basic introductory grammatical notes at the beginning, but these are not really very helpful, and don't get into Uyghur verbs, which are the most difficult part of the grammar for most people.

The audio, at least to my ear, does sound "slurred", as noted above. I don't think that this is a problem with the audio per se, but rather that it's the way the language is spoken. Turkish, for instance, sounds clearer to me. It may be that I've heard so much more of it, and that my ears are just more accustomed to it, but I also have the feeling that the pronunciation of Turkish is simply more distinct than that of Uyghur.

At any rate, I think the book is quite useful for developing reading skill, but doubt that it would substantially enhance one's ability at spoken Uyghur (which is not, after all the intention of the book.)

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version