bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5163 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 41 of 78
13 March 2010 at 5:18am | IP Logged 
Louche wrote:
I think she actually translates in all or most of her nine languages...
she told me a today that she was translating a Russian text.

I'm a professional translator and we have a difficult time finding anyone qualified
enough to translate from English into French and produce decent quality work. I know of
very few people who, despite having over 10 years of experience and being near-natives in
L2, admit to not being as qualified at translating into their L2. So, allow me to be
skeptical when I hear of anyone translating to and from more than 2 languages.

Edited by Arekkusu on 13 March 2010 at 5:19am

2 persons have voted this message useful

crackpot
Triglot
Canada
Joined 6083 days ago

144 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 42 of 78
19 March 2010 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
I'm starting to think this rule of seven has some merit if you have a job and a family. I
don't know if I am going to be able to reach 7 or not. I'm still going to try though.
1 person has voted this message useful

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5252 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 43 of 78
19 March 2010 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
robsolete wrote:

My 15 year goal is to work my way through the six U.N. languages. So...

-English
-Spanish
-French
-Arabic
-Russian
-Mandarin

Me too! but I'm not aiming for native fluency and while I trust myself to learn Spanish, Russian and even Arabic easily (relatively so anyway) I'm really scared of Chinese. I'd sort of planned a seven year study plan though... Can anyone with experience tell me if it's possible without spending 4 hours a day on it?

And does my native language count or not? In which case if French doesn't count I still have two languages to go...

- Turkish because I could practice it at my local kebab shop.
- Japanese I guess

But then what about German, which I already know a little?
And Italian?
And Swahili?
And Sanskrit (which I guess there isn't any point in learning to speak fluently, but reading would be fun)
And Hebrew?
And other types of Arabic?
And rare languages?

Personally I wouldn't really mind not always being fluent in all my languages, but if I could get them to a stable enough level so I can get fluent again pretty quickly around native speakers, I'd be happy.

Edited by joanthemaid on 19 March 2010 at 11:23pm

zerothinking
Australia
Joined 6154 days ago

528 posts - 772 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 44 of 78
19 March 2010 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
hokusai77 wrote:
delectric wrote:
So if the "Rule of 7" is true what 7 foreign
languages would you like to learn including the ones you already know?

French
Spanish
Portuguese
Chinese
Russian
Arabic
Indonesian

My list

English
French
German
Japanese
Swedish
Danish
Norwegian

I would not count Swedish, Norwegian, and Danish as separate languages so you can add
two more to this list.

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5252 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 45 of 78
19 March 2010 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Louche wrote:
I think she actually translates in all or most of her nine languages...
she told me a today that she was translating a Russian text.

I'm a professional translator and we have a difficult time finding anyone qualified
enough to translate from English into French and produce decent quality work. I know of
very few people who, despite having over 10 years of experience and being near-natives in
L2, admit to not being as qualified at translating into their L2. So, allow me to be
skeptical when I hear of anyone translating to and from more than 2 languages.

I agree with Arekkusu. As far as I know, all professional translators, no matter how many languages they know, always translate from foreign languages into their native language.

robsolete
Diglot
United States
Joined 5167 days ago

191 posts - 428 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 46 of 78
20 March 2010 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
joanthemaid wrote:

Me too! but I'm not aiming for native fluency and while I trust myself to learn Spanish, Russian and even Arabic easily (relatively so anyway) I'm really scared of Chinese. I'd sort of planned a seven year study plan though... Can anyone with experience tell me if it's possible without spending 4 hours a day on it?

Ha! I wondered if I was the only person crazy enough to try it. It must be possible, since I know that there are a few polyglots on this site who speak all or most of them, plus a few more besides.

I feel about the same way, too. Arabic scares me a little, but Mandarin is the one I have nightmares about already. French, while complex, shouldn't be too bad since I know a decent amount of Spanish, and Russian seems like a relatively 'fun' project for when I later start in earnest on Arabic and Mandarin.

I have a vague fantasy about trying to assemble a network of people who want to learn all six--each being native (or near-native) speakers of one of them. That way we could give each other practice and insight, and eventually develop into a crew of polyglot superheroes (culminating, of course, in a round-the-world group trip).

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5768 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 47 of 78
20 March 2010 at 1:29am | IP Logged 
It's funny to me (as someone who's spent a lot of time on Mandarin) that you're more scared of Mandarin than you are of Arabic. For me it's the other way around. Mandarin has such simple grammar, and so many words are made up of two logical parts. The words never change internally, so once you learn a word then you know it'll be like that in all situations. Arabic, on the other hand, has all these different dialects, and they all seem to be different from the written form. I don't even know where to start.

As for the number 7, I notice in the original post that you're not supposed to be able to hit 7 unless you're in linguistics. This is totally backwards from what I've seen. Most people with a PhD in linguistics have very little idea about how to learn another language. Many of them are monolingual and make no attempt to learn other languages. They'd rather sit around and debate obscure details that they write research papers about, and you can't really write research papers about yourself. So they spend all their time on academic research, not language learning.

For me personally, I think I have the best chance of retaining 7 languages if I learn the languages that are most prevalent in my home city of Vancouver. The top 5 languages here are English, Cantonese, Mandarin, Punjabi, and Spanish, although through personal interest I'd add my current projects of German, Swedish, and Esperanto. oops, I guess that puts me up to 8 now. I'm not worried about getting professional translator status in all of them though. If I can read books and talk to people with ease, then I'll be happy.

robsolete
Diglot
United States
Joined 5167 days ago

191 posts - 428 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 48 of 78
20 March 2010 at 2:11pm | IP Logged 
I guess Mandarin's reputation and tonal quality is what makes it scary--it seems, to a Western outsider, as different and alien as a language can be. Arabic has a recognizable alphabet, semi-familiar verb conjugations, feminine and masculine words, etc. etc. It has a few phenomes that are totally new and the dialect issue is challenging, but it still feels like more familiar territory.

Again, as a total outsider, Mandarin seems scary because of the sheer rote memorization of characters and the tones--the concept of the inflection with which I speak a word changing its meaning is scary, because I already struggle with pronunciation in *French*. I have heard that the grammar is not so bad at the early stages, but it gets more complex as you go on. But I have also heard from those who learn Mandarin that it isn't as scary as they fear. So in 5-8 years I'll give you my report. :)

Luckily, the six languages I'm interested in are pretty well represented in my city of Boston: lots of Mandarin and Spanish speakers, a fairly large number of Russians, and a long-standing Lebanese population alongside many international students from the Arab world. French is a bit trickier, but Quebeç is only six hours away! We also have a lot of Brazilian and Haitian immigrants here, so Portuguese and Creole would be interesting languages to learn once my Spanish and French are good enough.

This discussion contains 78 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version