Norway
Joined 6394 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 17 of 25
30 March 2007 at 2:24am | IP Logged 
solidsnake wrote:
well it would suck to have to relearn words you already know, just because you dont know how to read/write them.

Learning to speak without reading/writing is the quick, easy path. Faster more seductive..

Learning from the start is slower, more painful, but in the end..

I don't really agree with this at all. You don't "relearn words you already know" when learning how to write them. You learn how to write them. I started doing reading practice after having a very basic foundation of spoken language (Pimsleur I and II, or thereabouts). I read in my Chinese book that writing should not be commenced until one has a good hold on spoken Mandarin. "Pft!" I said, and started anyway. And I simply found that learning the signs for words I already knew how to say and use was pretty straightforward, but learning the sound and use together with the sign was simply too much. Confronted with a sentance written in characters and pinyin, I could, if I knew all the words in pinyin, quickly check which character was which syllable, examine the makeup of the characters ("Ah, that means ma3, horse, for pronounciation, and that means nü3, woman. So this means mother"). Got it.

Just my two cents (and the two cents of the bloke who wrote the excellent book).

EDIT: And besides, if you learn words by reading them, you'll likely learn the pronounciation without hearing the word yourself. If you're not already good at your pronounciation, that'll breed a bad one.

Edited by Ari on 30 March 2007 at 2:51am

1 person has voted this message useful

solidsnake
Diglot
China
Joined 6853 days ago

469 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 18 of 25
30 March 2007 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
I wrote that post in retrospect. I personally didnt start learning to read/write until almost 1.5 years after beginning oral chinese. I tried earlier but just couldnt grasp/retain it(written lang). At around 1.5 yr mark I started learning almost a hundred by the day and can now follow newspaper articles.

So in an ideal world, I wish I could do that off the bat, but in reality it took my brain almost a year and half to allow the written language in. The difference between now and when I wrote that post you quoted, is that I've accepted that fact instead of "regretting" it.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6362 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 19 of 25
30 March 2007 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
solidsnake wrote:

This type of ignorance really annoys me, I'm sorry to single you out, but I dont want you perpetuating this across the forum to new learners.

This line is a little rude. Can you please try to be a little more polite? Also, unless you're an admin, I don't believe you can determine what I perpetuate.

solidsnake wrote:

It is precisely the fact that there is no systematic grammar which makes chinese so time-consuming to learn.

Not for me, or apparently many other learners of Mandarin who find the language not so difficult to speak/listen.

solidsnake wrote:

When you learn a new word or synonym you have to painstakingly learn each acceptable and non-acceptable usage by rote. There is no "formula" to plug things into.

To a certain degree, this is true for every language. Please complete your language list so I can see which other languages you are comparing this to.

solidsnake wrote:

If you ever want to sound native, you HAVE to master each word's usage and fixed collocations (all 20,000+ of them.)

Read Vinnie's post again. Does it sound to you like he's asking for native-like fluency?

solidsnake wrote:

And then there are chengyu, yanyu, xiehouyu, et al.

All languages have idioms.

I'll clarify a little. To learn enough to hold a respectable conversation, have a pretty good understanding movies, tv, radio, etc, 1000 hours of active study should do it.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6362 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 20 of 25
30 March 2007 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
solidsnake wrote:
It is precisely the fact that there is no systematic grammar which makes chinese so time-consuming to learn. When you learn a new word or synonym you have to painstakingly learn each acceptable and non-acceptable usage by rote. There is no "formula" to plug things into. If you ever want to sound native, you HAVE to master each word's usage and fixed collocations (all 20,000+ of them.)

As I said, this is true of every language to a degree. So here is an excellent approach for those that have problems with this. It's called the 10,000 sentence method . In essence, you study whole sentences rather than seperate grammar and vocab. Hope this helps.

Magnum
Bilingual Triglot
Retired Moderator
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6929 days ago

359 posts - 353 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian*, French
Studies: German
Personal Language Map

Message 21 of 25
01 May 2007 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
Solidsnake,

How much can be learned from Pimsleur I or the cheaper Pimsleur CD set?

I have a slight interest in learning just enough Mandarin to order food at a Chinese restaurant. I don't care to be fluent in Mandarin or learn to read. But I think it would be fun to know how to say 400-500 words.

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6706 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 22 of 25
02 May 2007 at 7:18am | IP Logged 
Magnum wrote:
I have a slight interest in learning just enough Mandarin to order food at a Chinese restaurant. I don't care to be fluent in Mandarin or learn to read. But I think it would be fun to know how to say 400-500 words.

If that is your goal, the complete Pimsleur I, II and III, 90 lessons in all, will take you a little more than half way there.

You'll be able to say a number of basic sentences with fairly good pronunciation, including ordering beer, tea, mineral water and Peking Duck and a few other things.

Just don't expect to understand more than perhaps 5-10% of the Mandarin that is spoken back at you, even in that simpe everyday restaurant context.

But beware, the goal you mention was approximately what I had in mind myself when I started out, and once I got going I found it was impossible to stop. You might end up with an addiction for life. Good luck with it all the same !

solidsnake
Diglot
China
Joined 6853 days ago

469 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 23 of 25
10 May 2007 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
Unless you order fairly standard dishes like 干潮牛河, menu reading can
actually be quite difficult since chefs will often give fancy names with rare
characters in them to make dishes sound more "beautiful."

You could use the dictionary method and start meticulously learning all
common ingredient names, but you would also have to learn how to
pronounce them correctly, so at that point you might as well start
learning the whole language. Which brings me to-- why the hell would
anyone want to learn "just enough to.." of a language??

Magnum
Bilingual Triglot
Retired Moderator
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6929 days ago

359 posts - 353 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian*, French
Studies: German
Personal Language Map

Message 24 of 25
11 May 2007 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
solidsnake wrote:
Which brings me to-- why the hell would
anyone want to learn "just enough to.." of a language??

There is only so much time people have to devote to a language. According to many people Mandarin takes over 2000 hours plus a trip to China to become intermediate level. I don't have 2000 hours to commit to 1 language, and I doubt I will have the time to spend 5 months in China.

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version