119 messages over 15 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 15
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 113 of 119
11 February 2009 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
I've just discovered a great Croatian rock band Rawbau. huh, what's unusual about it? Well, I'm really happy because I was watching today's Romania - Croatia game in Romanian (I was for Croatia, especially since Mutu didn't play anyway) and I understood when the commentator mentioned Croatia's coach Slaven Bilic plays in a rock band :D and in general I can say that my comprehension of Romanian has improved significantly. Background knowledge helps a lot though.
I've also lately been quite good at inspiring other people to study languages :P About a month ago I made friends with a very nice Indonesian girl, and I've already "infected" her with language learning passion - she's now studying Catalan on her own (she's a supporter of Barcelona...and also of Tottenham, like me:)) I've also inspired my aunt to try reading parallel English/Russian texts of her favourite stories by Stiven King :-)
Oh, and now there are two more languages on the list of the ones I'm most likely to start this year - Croatian and Indonesian, obviously. The latter is especially likely to be the one I do start learning. dunno. I've firmly decided I'm not beginning anything new until I finally reach basic fluency in Esperanto.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cristiana
Diglot
Romania
Joined 5786 days ago

31 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: Romanian*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 114 of 119
12 February 2009 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
Okay, I just wanted to tell you that I think it's really awesome that you're learning Romanian :D

Wish you good luck on your studies, and if you have any, ANY question concerning Romanian, I'll be more than happy to help you!

Good luck,
Cristina.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 115 of 119
12 February 2009 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
:) Great to hear that! I'll be happy to help with your Russian too :-)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 116 of 119
26 March 2009 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I've firmly decided I'm not beginning anything new until I finally reach basic fluency in Esperanto.
I guess part of me knew back then how firmly I actually decided this :) Yep. Indonesian. Lovely language.

Frankly speaking I'm rather dissatisfied with myself - about almost anything in my life, unfortunately including language studies - but guess it could've been worse as well. Good luck to me, lol. And to anyone who happens to read this.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 117 of 119
26 November 2009 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
I've logged in to find some links and was a bit shocked with the upgrade your account- stuff :O the funniest was when i searched by the tag Portuguese and this log was in the results but among the older ones, and i was told to upgrade to access my own log! XDDD

anyway i've just done the learning styles test yet again...

Serpent wrote:

I've done the learning styles test once more and the results seem to be more true this time...maybe this is because I was more frank when answering, at one point I was like: OMG, they're going to say I'm a visual learner while I know I'm not one! Then I decided: what if really, REALLY deep inside I am and answered exactly what I thought. So, here are the results:

Reflective 7
Intuitive 11
Verbal 7 (XD)
Global 3

...and here's what I got when I did the test in October 2006:

Reflective 3
Intuitive 7
Verbal 3
Sequential 3

So I probably have much stronger preferences than it seemed initially...

this time i got:
Reflective 9
Intuitive 7
Visual 5
Global 3

basically posting just to save these results now, but while i'm at it...
i used to consider myself verbal rather than visual, but this time the results disagree :D might have to do with my watching plenty of football nowadays - only in foreign languages or (mostly once a week) while having foreign music on, of course ;) so e.g. if i think of the word canto or calcio d'angolo i immediately imagine the part of the pitch around the corner flag :) add to this the fact that i somehow spend less time listening to music these days... there are probably more reasons but i can't think of anything else :D

will post a proper update at the end of the year, but my way of learning is starting to resemble AJATT more and more. or actually, it's about combining the extremeties - i'm also about to finish reading a coursebook on romance philology, a theory-heavy one.
i might have mentioned some 1.5 years ago that i bought two book with short stories in Italian mostly because they were cheap, and of course for motivation. it felt nice to open them every now and then and see how much i understand, and about a month ago i suddenly understood enough not to want to close the book at once! it's still tiresome to read longish stuff, but i've read the stories that have about 5 pages, more or less using kató lomb's method. great feeling.

umm this was going to be a tiny note XDDD

going to work at "Non/fiction" bookfair again this year, btw.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 118 of 119
20 November 2011 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
I was looking for tests that estimate your German vocabulary and I ended up at this forum XD

I now updated my profile... Got kicked out of uni in January and used my time off very efficiently for language learning, as well as taking and passing YKI at the level C1. I think you need to live in Finland to pass C2, and even then it's far from guaranteed.

It was a bit sad to change my Finnish status from "studying full time" to "studying actively" but it's just true. I now immerse myself in a variety of languages... My current definition of whether I'm studying a language is having a tag and more or less regularly adding cards to Anki though. This is how Catalan and Dutch qualify, I'm not studying them properly nor am I sure I even mean to. And I make sure not to forget what I know in Esperanto but it's lost its appeal a bit. Perhaps I can even say it's done its job - it took me to a new level in language learning.

As I said I'm now mostly studying the AJATT way, though I've recently rediscovered the joy of traditional textbooks XD they just have to be in a language you don't speak! I've downloaded a textbook of Italian for Croatians and suddenly sentences like "What is it? It's a table" are fun :)))

Also, currently reading Diego Forlán's book. Will start reading something in Italian when I'm finished.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 119 of 119
20 November 2011 at 5:15am | IP Logged 
Oh and yeah, I still haven't reached Basic Fluency in German. IDK why. I've just went through yet another phase when I do all the Dialang tests obsessively... and it said I lack systematic knowledge of the basic vocabulary. I just did the Dutch placement test to see what exactly the desrciption says... yeah, same there XDDD LOL i went on to do the listening test because I love the way Dutch sounds... and it politely said I'm "at or below A1" :D I got 12 out of 30 right omg.
(i just try to add to Anki everything i look up in google translate in languages I practically don't speak... that's something to build future knowledge on and I don't want to lose it! obviously if I understand something because of German I also add it)

This discussion contains 119 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version