dgryski.blogspot.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6771 days ago

555 posts - 605 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Dutch, Esperanto

Message 9 of 54
08 March 2007 at 7:56am | IP Logged 
This is of course very similar to the Assimil approach .. lots of dialogues with vocabulary in context, moving from your native language, to passive understanding of the foreign language, to production (being able to recite the dialogues by rote.)

1 person has voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6435 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 10 of 54
08 March 2007 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
dmg wrote:
This is of course very similar to the Assimil approach .. lots of dialogues with vocabulary in context, moving from your native language, to passive understanding of the foreign language, to production (being able to recite the dialogues by rote.)

Yes, I think so. Actually I like Assimil and I use it.
I would be great if Assimil was with video: bilingual text with the video-audio in the target language.

Otherwise, another DVD movie method I have read is:

1-Watch film only with audio in target language.

2-Watch film with audio in target language (like step 1), but several times and if necessary track by track, struggling to understand (guessing words, using dictionary) until you feel it's impossible to understand more.

3-Watch film with audio and captions in your target language.

4-Watch film with audio in target language and captions in your own language.

What do you think about?

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6435 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 11 of 54
10 March 2007 at 11:25am | IP Logged 
I am using this DVD methods the last three weeks and I have found some problems.

1-If I watch the movie with audio in target language (without subtitles) in the last step, I am very tired and bored about the film and I lose my concentration and interest. And that's a bad thing, because my first goal is understand conversational speech from native speakers.

2-If I do that (audio only in target language) in the first step it's too hard as well and boring, because I understand little. Listen and relisten again becomes boring.

Maybe my best option is:

1-Watching the film with audio in target language and subtitles in own language(or audio in own language with subtitles in target language). So I can enjoy the movie at the beginning.

2-Work and rework with audio only in target language.

3-Work with audio and subtitles in target language.

My situation is that I can understand almost 90% when I read subtitles in targe language and only 10% when I only listen in target language.

curon
Bilingual Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6649 days ago

31 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: English*, Welsh*, German, Italian, French

Message 12 of 54
28 March 2007 at 7:14am | IP Logged 

"Great! 70 films are a lot. How long did you need to watch those films? It seems I need a week every film.

Hi slucido.
I know there is probably a better way of doing this digitally but i record the dialogues using tape and a very high quality tape recorder, which I have taken on "long term unofficial loan" from work. (Don't worry, they have plenty of them). This is so that I can record just the spoken dialogue. Who wants to listen to explosions and car chases, right?

Then I use a program called "sound forge" to record the tapes onto the hard disk. From there I use a free program called audio grabber to turn the files into mp3. It sounds complicated but it isn't really.

I started doing all this when I had gone through all the textbooks that I could find. It is great fun to listen to your favourite films in the language you are learning. My tip is to start off with films that you know in English. Something you really enjoy. Ideally it would be something a bit uplifting ( although "Deliverance " was my first choice. "The incredibles, back to the future and Office space" are some of my favourites. Then just listen to them when you are driving , in the shower, cooking, walking. This way yuoiu'll pick up phrases, vocabulary, and most importantly, language patterns, without realising it. You know the plot backwards, so you can just let all that language flow over you.
The only disadvantage i have ever experienced is when I gave a female colleague a lift home, and when I turned on the engine, the male rape scene from deliverance came through the speakers in Italian. Took some explaining, I can tell you!

I then record

Silvestris
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 6324 days ago

131 posts - 136 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish*, German

Message 13 of 54
28 March 2007 at 11:35am | IP Logged 
For me, it helps to reinforce vocabulary and teaches me a lot of words/expressions that I didn't know before.

I just don't have enough will power to watch the same movie 4 times, but maye that works for some people. Once in the target language with subtitles and ocne without subtitles.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6435 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 14 of 54
28 March 2007 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
curon wrote:

"Great! 70 films are a lot. How long did you need to watch those films? It seems I need a week every film.

Hi slucido.
I know there is probably a better way of doing this digitally but i record the dialogues using tape and a very high quality tape recorder, which I have taken on "long term unofficial loan" from work. (Don't worry, they have plenty of them). This is so that I can record just the spoken dialogue. Who wants to listen to explosions and car chases, right?

Then I use a program called "sound forge" to record the tapes onto the hard disk. From there I use a free program called audio grabber to turn the files into mp3. It sounds complicated but it isn't really.

I started doing all this when I had gone through all the textbooks that I could find. It is great fun to listen to your favourite films in the language you are learning. My tip is to start off with films that you know in English. Something you really enjoy. Ideally it would be something a bit uplifting ( although "Deliverance " was my first choice. "The incredibles, back to the future and Office space" are some of my favourites. Then just listen to them when you are driving , in the shower, cooking, walking. This way yuoiu'll pick up phrases, vocabulary, and most importantly, language patterns, without realising it. You know the plot backwards, so you can just let all that language flow over you.
The only disadvantage i have ever experienced is when I gave a female colleague a lift home, and when I turned on the engine, the male rape scene from deliverance came through the speakers in Italian. Took some explaining, I can tell you!

Thank you. I tried to record with Audacity watching the DVD in the PC, but it's boring. I am not sure, but I think it's possible to record directly from the DVD TV with a portable mp3 player. I will try it.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6435 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 15 of 54
28 March 2007 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
Silvestris wrote:
For me, it helps to reinforce vocabulary and teaches me a lot of words/expressions that I didn't know before.

I just don't have enough will power to watch the same movie 4 times, but maye that works for some people. Once in the target language with subtitles and ocne without subtitles.

I agree. It's important to work with movies that you enjoy a lot. Right now I am watching the movies two times and I wait one week and rewatch the same movies.
After the first time, I use the forward button a lot to go to the dialogs.

It seems a good method. My children watch movies hundreds of times and they now the dialogs by heart.

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6207 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 16 of 54
01 April 2007 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
Cartoons and soaps. Documentaries. Loaded with dialogues and conveniently cut up in shorter episodes. Movies are more for fun and accidental learning. For cartoons, dare I say it, anime. The range of subject matter is incredible. From naughty tentacles ahem to fishing.

This discussion contains 54 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version