Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6369 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 25 of 54
14 April 2007 at 7:28am | IP Logged 
I don't get it. Why are comedies better than other movies?
1 person has voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6462 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 26 of 54
14 April 2007 at 2:09pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:

I suppose there are more dialogs. Action movies have less dialogs and they are less useful, but I think it's more important you like a lot the tv serie or movie.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6337 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 27 of 54
12 May 2007 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:

I would think they would be the most difficult. Maybe that makes them better for, say, an advanced student. But the worst for me:)

leosmith
United States
Joined 6337 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 28 of 54
12 May 2007 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
1-Watch the movie in your own language with captions in your target language.
2-Watch the movie in your target language with captions in your own language
3-Watch movie with audio and captions in your target language.
4-Watch movie only with audio in your target language.

Sounds good to me. I'd like to try this for languages from several different regions. Questions:

a)If I buy a multi-region DVD player, will I be able to get subtitles in essentially any major language?
b)Do all DVDs come with subtitle capability?
c)Is it possible to get Pinyin subtitles for Chinese?
d)Do any DVDs come with dubbing in multiple languages?
e)Is there anything more I need to know, or any more equipment I'll need to pull this off?

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6730 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 29 of 54
12 May 2007 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
If I buy a multi-region DVD player, will I be able to get subtitles in essentially any major language?

Interesting question. I've always assumed without questioning that any player should be able to display subtitles in any language, and that being multi-region didn't add or take anything away from it.

If subtitles in commercial DVD's are graphical, this will certainly be the case. If they were to use fonts, each player would probably have to carry fonts for all the languages, which seems unlikely in commercial stand-alone players. Perhaps commercial DVD manufacturers have the option of using fonts for a few common alphabet sets and must use graphical subtitles for all the other writing systems?

Let's see what our local tech gurus have to say on this, but until proven otherwise, I would assume that your player will be able to display all the subtitles that are included on your DVD's.

leosmith wrote:
Is there anything more I need to know, or any more equipment I'll need to pull this off?

You need a DVD player that is (a) multi-region, and (b) has a PAL to NTSC converter. I've seen some JVC players that satisfy (b), but not (a), but usually those that satisfy (a) will also satisfy (b), so this shouldn't be a problem.

Which player models (and languages?) are you thinking of, if it's not a secret?

Edited by frenkeld on 12 May 2007 at 7:47pm

Mtargem
Pentaglot
Czech Republic
Joined 6200 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Slovak, Czech*, English, Italian, Polish
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 30 of 54
12 May 2007 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:

a)If I buy a multi-region DVD player, will I be able to get subtitles in essentially any major language?
b)Do all DVDs come with subtitle capability?
c)Is it possible to get Pinyin subtitles for Chinese?
d)Do any DVDs come with dubbing in multiple languages?
e)Is there anything more I need to know, or any more equipment I'll need to pull this off?

ad a) I'd say if you have an original DVD, then your DVD player should display correctly all subtitles on the disc. You may have problems with DivX movies since the subtitles are added differently and not all players can read all font sets. (Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

ad b) and d) I assume you mean an original DVD. In that case it depends, I guess, on which region this DVD is for. I remember that some DVDs I bought in the USA had "only" English, Spanish and French audio and subtitles. However, region 2 DVDs that I buy in Europe have quite often more languages and subtitles included, although most of the time these are European languages (with some exceptions like Hebrew, Arabic - that's because the Middle East is region 2 as well - or even Hindi). I don't know about other regions but I would assume that for example region 3 DVDs would contain many Asian languages.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6337 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 31 of 54
12 May 2007 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
Which player models (and languages?) are you thinking of, if it's not a secret?

Actually, I haven't even looked yet. I've talked to the boys at Best Buy, and they suggested mail order. So I'm just looking for information before I shop. I'll let you know what I find.

Languages - pretty much everything on my hit list. Japanese and Chinese right now, French and Russian in the near future, etc.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6730 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 32 of 54
13 May 2007 at 12:55am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
I've talked to the boys at Best Buy, and they suggested mail order. So I'm just looking for information before I shop. I'll let you know what I find.

Actually, I am more curious than anything at this point. I own two region-free DVD players, one regular and one portable. I made some specific model suggestions in this thread, but there are other options, of course.

The main thing is, there are some players you can buy on Amazon, or even at Walmart or Target, that are not sold in a region-free configuration, but can be easily reprogrammed to be region-free with the remote control.

Some computers can also be used in that fashion - see that same thread I mentioned.

Edited by frenkeld on 13 May 2007 at 8:47am

This discussion contains 54 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version