leosmith
United States
Joined 6331 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 33 of 54
13 May 2007 at 7:59pm | IP Logged 
That was an interesting thread frankfeld. This one might be more expensive than you'd recommend, but it seems to have everything I need. What do you think?
1 person has voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6724 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 34 of 54
13 May 2007 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
It was one of the models I mentioned. As of this writing, it sells for the same price on Amazon: link.

See if you find Amazon reviewer comments to be of interest.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6331 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 35 of 54
13 May 2007 at 9:33pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
See if you find Amazon reviewer comments to be of interest.

Thanks! Just ordered it.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6724 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 

Message 36 of 54
13 May 2007 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
Thanks! Just ordered it.

I see you wasted no time. :) I was going to have you take a look at this one as well, but yours is a good choice too, maybe even a better one.

If you ordered from that other outfit, the player should be ready to go. If you ordered from Amazon, you may have to reset it. Save the following two links for up-to-date information, should the one provided by Amazon reviewers prove insufficient (which is unlikely): link1, link2.

Beware of the following issue. Players like this can be set to a specific region (1-6), or to "region 0", which means any region. Some disks check that the player is not "region 0", but specifically their region. Some players know how to deal with this even while set to region 0, others you have to set to the specific region of the disk, so it's good to know how to do it, just in case, regardless of where you bought it.

Edited by frenkeld on 14 May 2007 at 12:28am

leosmith
United States
Joined 6331 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 37 of 54
14 May 2007 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
I already saw that one through a link from your other thread. I ordered from Amazon, out of convenience, so I'll check things out, and reset as necessary, when it gets here. Thanks for the additional links.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6331 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 38 of 54
26 May 2007 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
Now I'm looking at DVDs. So let's review; I want to:

1-Watch the movie in your own language with captions in your target language.
2-Watch the movie in your target language with captions in your own language
3-Watch movie with audio and captions in your target language.
4-Watch movie only with audio in your target language.

Which type of DVD's should I get? I've noticed YesAsia specifies region code, language, subtitle, amongst other things.

To do 1., will I need to buy a seperate DVD that's been dubbed in English?
If the DVD is region 1 with English subtitles, does that mean the subtitles can't be turned off?

Thanks for your help.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6724 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 

Message 39 of 54
26 May 2007 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
Leo,

The DVD standard allows multiple soundtracks and multiple subtitle tracks. You can switch between the available sound tracks and the available subtitle tracks (or turn off the subtitles altogether) independently. It is up to the manufacturer of the DVD to decide how many language tracks and subtitles to put on the DVD, so you just have to check what comes with any given DVD.

There is one caveat. Occasionally one runs into a DVD where the subtitles are "burned" into the image layer and cannot be turned off, making it an equivalent of the good ol' VHS tape. This is not common, but it does happen. Sometimes an angry reviewer will point out that fact on Amazon, so it's always worth checking the reviews before buying.

Most foreign movies released on DVD in the US have only the original soundtrack and English subtitles, which can usually be turned off (unless burned into the image layer). Some American movies will also have a French soundtrack (for Quebec?) and French and Spanish subtitles. Some may have a Spanish soundtrack. Some may have English subtitles for hearing impaired. You just have to check.

Edited by frenkeld on 27 May 2007 at 11:10am

leosmith
United States
Joined 6331 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 40 of 54
26 May 2007 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the explanation frankeld. I ordered some DVDs from Amazon; it hadn't occured to me to buy them there for some reason. I'm anxious to see how well this method will work.

This discussion contains 54 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version