Joined 6439 days ago

83 posts - 90 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*
Studies: Russian

Message 41 of 54
04 June 2007 at 9:08am | IP Logged 
Hi,

I find subtitles useful too.
One foreign site for downloading subtitles is www.subtitle.de (German) and http://www.subtitry.ru/ (russian).

- To use other subtitles than what follows your disc, i think you would need to rip the disk and use the .avi file with VLC player. VLC allows you to choose any subtitle (in .srt format, the most widely standard) file you want as subtitles. Anyway if you dont do this these sites are useful as reference, since you can print out some subtitles for references. (Its actually most easy to use original dvds if you can, you will easily run into sync problems if else. Also steer away from pirated dvds as these often have other languages and subtitles deleted, even if not written on the front - at least in russia)

I also found a way to "clean" the file, and output a normal text file. Using BBEDIT (mac program), I ran first grep search string "(\d?)\r\d.:\d.:\d.,\d\d\d --> \d.:\d.:\d.,\d\d\d\r(.*$)\r+(\D+)" and replace "\1 \t \2 \3 " (Remove " signs) and second step search "^\r" and replace with blank (i.e. deletes linebreaks).

The result then is like this

155       Вам нравится наша сова?
156       Она искусственная?
157       Ну, естественно.
158       Дорогая, наверное.
159       Крайне. Меня зовут Рэйчел.
160       Декард.
161       Вы, похоже, считаете, что наша работа не слишком
полезна для людей.
162       Репликанты - как и прочие машины. Либо они полезны,
либо вредны.
163       Если полезны, то это не моя забота.
164       Можно задать вам личный вопрос?
165       Конечно.
166       Вы когда-нибудь отправляли "в отставку" человека?
167       Нет.
168       Но при вашей работе есть риск.

And so on - its practical.

Geir
2 persons have voted this message useful

frankshoehorn
United Kingdom
Joined 6196 days ago

25 posts - 25 votes

Message 42 of 54
08 June 2007 at 9:12am | IP Logged 
I was given Weird Science on DVD since i liked it when i was younger and it has the largest range of languages i have seen on a DVD.

It has been dubbed in:

English, French, German, Italian, Spanish and Russian.

And has the following subtitles:

English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Arabic, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Swedish, Turkish and Icelandic.

You can probably find it on ebay for a pound or two.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cage
Diglot
aka a.ardaschira, Athena, Michael Thomas
United States
Joined 6406 days ago

382 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 43 of 54
08 June 2007 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
This is a great thread! I thank everyone for some great tips as I have had some problems finding some languages with both audio and subtitles on the same movie.

Ishikawa Minoru
Diglot
Portugal
Joined 6543 days ago

31 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2
Studies: Japanese

Message 44 of 54
08 June 2007 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
I bought a region free Aiwa XD-DV370 DVD player back in 2001 and,though it's done a very good job thus far, the truth is it does not recognize (but plays) the Thai subtitle track in the Thai edition of the Mobile Suit Gundam Movie Trilogy.

Cage
Diglot
United States
Joined 6406 days ago

382 posts - 393 votes 

Message 45 of 54
08 June 2007 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
Ishikawa Minoru wrote:
I bought a region free Aiwa XD-DV370 DVD player back in 2001 and,though it's done a very good job thus far, the truth is it does not recognize (but plays) the Thai subtitle track in the Thai edition of the Mobile Suit Gundam Movie Trilogy.

Your writing ability is excellent. I am working to one day write Spanish as well.

Edited by Cage on 08 June 2007 at 11:29pm

Cage
Diglot
United States
Joined 6406 days ago

382 posts - 393 votes 

Message 46 of 54
08 June 2007 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
By the way I tried to find weird science on Amazon.com and the one I found only had English and French language tracks and Subtitles. Does anyone know of any other movies which might have both audio and subtitles for German, Italian, and Russian? Seems like the most common are Spanish, French, and Portuguese. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have one which has Japanese and Chinese, and a different one which has Arabic and of course several with Spanish, French, and Portuguese.

frankshoehorn
United Kingdom
Joined 6196 days ago

25 posts - 25 votes

Message 47 of 54
09 June 2007 at 3:47am | IP Logged 
Cage wrote:
By the way I tried to find weird science on Amazon.com and the one I found only had English and French language tracks and Subtitles. Does anyone know of any other movies which might have both audio and subtitles for German, Italian, and Russian? Seems like the most common are Spanish, French, and Portuguese. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have one which has Japanese and Chinese, and a different one which has Arabic and of course several with Spanish, French, and Portuguese.

Rocky Boxset. I can watch Rocky 4 in quite a few languages (dubbed and subtitles) inc German and Italian and im pretty sure it has Russian too.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6332 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 48 of 54
10 June 2007 at 4:00pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
If you ordered from that other outfit, the player should be ready to go. If you ordered from Amazon, you may have to reset it. Save the following two links for up-to-date information, should the one provided by Amazon reviewers prove insufficient (which is unlikely): link1, link2.

I finally set up the DVD player. It was set to region 1, but I was able to change it to 0 following the links above. Thanks frenkeld.

I just realized all the DVDs I ordered are region 1, in native language with English subtitles, all but one with the option of turning them off. Amazon didn't provide info regarding subtitles and soundtracks. So I'm back to trying to find some DVDs with both english and native (japanese or mandarin) subtitles. Any suggestions are appreciated. I tried yesasia, but I didn't see any for less than $30.

This discussion contains 54 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version