United States
Joined 6725 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 49 of 54
10 June 2007 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
So I'm back to trying to find some DVDs with both english and native (japanese or mandarin) subtitles. Any suggestions are appreciated. I tried yesasia, but I didn't see any for less than $30.

Leo,

Just like you won't find all that many American movies on DVDs sold in the US with English subtitles, there aren't that many foreign ones with subtitles in the original language. Typically, if it's done at all, it is indended for hearing-impared, and for some reason DVD manufacturers don't do it routinely.

Your best bet is to ask that whenever someone comes across a movie on DVD with subtitles in the original language, he would post that information, including what country he or she bought the DVD in (or from), ideally with a link to an appropriate online store.

I thought a while back of starting a thread for sharing this type of information, but never got around to it. Perhaps you might be interested in doing that?

Another thing you can try, when you are interested in a few specific films, is to post a question whether anyone has bought those particular movies anywhere with the right subtitles.

Edited by frenkeld on 10 June 2007 at 6:28pm

1 person has voted this message useful

sheetz
United States
Joined 6159 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, French, Mandarin

Message 50 of 54
10 June 2007 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:

Just like you won't find all that many American movies on DVDs sold in the US with English subtitles, there aren't that many foreign ones with subtitles in the original language.

With Mandarin, however, many videos will also come with Chinese subtitles so non-Mandarin Chinese speakers can view them. Although I'm not sure if you'll be able to get them with English subtitles as well. Films from HK will typically have English subtitles, but they are usually in Cantonese. Maybe there are HK films dubbed in Mandarin with Chinese and English subtitles?

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6691 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 51 of 54
10 June 2007 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
I've got a couple of films with both Cantonese and Mandarin audio, as well as English (and sometimes Chinese) subtitles. Usually there is info on the back of the case.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6725 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 52 of 54
12 June 2007 at 7:16pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
I just realized all the DVDs I ordered are region 1 ... Amazon didn't provide info regarding subtitles and soundtracks.

Leo,

Region 1 DVDs of foreign movies sold on Amazon would be the ones for which there is an official US distributor who has signed an agreement with the owners of the film. For movies in this category, it might make sense to sign up for a netflix.com plan for a while, so you can decide which ones you care to own before paying full cost. You can search on their site for what they have in stock without a subscription.

This is very unlikely to solve your original-language subtitle problem, but may be worth keeping in mind otherwise.

Edited by frenkeld on 12 June 2007 at 7:17pm

leosmith
United States
Joined 6332 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 53 of 54
12 June 2007 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
Good suggestions Frankfeld. I think I'll start that thread in the near future. I'm sure I've heard of people using foreign videos with subtitles in the same language; I just have to find those somehow.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6457 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 54 of 54
17 November 2007 at 1:09pm | IP Logged 
I have found this DVD movies method.

http://effortlessenglishclub.blogspot.com/2007/10/learn-engl ish-with-movies.html

It's for English students, but it can be useful for other languages.

Quote:
Most English students don't use movies correctly. They rent a lot of American movies, watch them, return them, and then rent more. They may understand the basic story of each movie, but they don't improve their English.

Here's a better method for learning with movies:

1. Rent or buy ONE movie

2. Watch all of it, with subtitles in your own language

3. Next, watch only one scene of the movie (a scene is usually 2-4 minutes long). Use ENGLISH subtitles.

4. Rewind. Watch the same scene again. This time, pause for every sentence. Write down phrases/words you don't understand.

5. Use your dictionary to learn these new words. Search the internet for strange phrases (probably slang or idioms).

6. Watch the scene again at normal speed-- 2-3 times. Turn the subtitles OFF. Try to hear and understand the new phrases.

7. Watch the scene again-- 2-3 times. Pause after every sentence, then say the sentence yourself. Don't just "say" it. Copy the actor! Try to sound and move exactly like them. Copy their emotion. Copy their face movements. Copy their voice. This will improve your pronunciation.

Using this method, you can probably learn 1-3 scenes per week. Don't go too fast. Learn deeply. Repeat steps 3-7 everyday. If a scene is difficult, you can do this again and again for several days. Its important to learn every scene very deeply.

It may feel slow, but when you finally finish a whole movie, your English is fantastically better! Use this method, it is very powerful.

I always doubt about the best DVD movie method.

Is it better to watch thirty movies in a month or
thirty times the same movie in a month?

This discussion contains 54 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version