Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
255 messages over 32 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 31 32
DinaAlia
Pentaglot
Norway
Joined 3691 days ago

24 posts - 49 votes
Speaks: Swedish, Danish, Norwegian*, English, French
Studies: Greek, Latin, Arabic (Egyptian), German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Icelandic
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 249 of 255
23 February 2014 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
Not sure that it's "super-fast", but I like this approach:

- Learn the Swadesh list (100 words)
- Speed read the dictionary

I don't speed read the whole dictionary at once, of course, that would be potentially confusing. I read the shortest
chapters first, each three times in a row, and then read gradually bigger chapters. I prefer to read the half of the
dictionary that is "known language" - "target-language", for instance Norwegian - French, so that the entry words
are in Norwegian. The FR - NO half is better suited for looking up words from novels and the like.

Edited by DinaAlia on 23 February 2014 at 9:04pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 250 of 255
23 February 2014 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
And thanks for keeping the thread within reach for new members.

You raise an interesting question: why can you remember an new word from a target language by direct reference to a physical object, whereas you have trouble rembering it via a translation of the same word?

I haven't felt this effect as acutely as you apparently have done, but as many others I regularly use visual associations to remember things. The problem is of course that I can't make small drawings of all the words I try to learn through wordlists - in some cases because there simply isn't a simple way to draw a notion. So I write translations in my wordlists, but use every trick in the book to add other types of associations to the mix. And one of the reasons for my insistance on repetition shortly after the first memorization is that you then can draw on vague memories of your unwritten associations, whereas you have to form new associations from scratch if you leave that task to a time several years later. And reinforcing all your associations is an important part of longtime learning.

Edited by Iversen on 23 February 2014 at 9:38pm

1 person has voted this message useful

DinaAlia
Pentaglot
Norway
Joined 3691 days ago

24 posts - 49 votes
Speaks: Swedish, Danish, Norwegian*, English, French
Studies: Greek, Latin, Arabic (Egyptian), German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Icelandic
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 251 of 255
23 February 2014 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
Balliballi wrote:
If I work out a way of using NLP techniques, my subconscious brain will also be involved in
memorizing words.

Worked out a way yet?

I imagine the most obvious way would be associating concepts tactilely, or through taste or smell. It could be loci, or
it could just be association as in, for example, (programming) "pressure on spot x triggers associations to knowledge
about Hungarian words for fruit", "taste y triggers memories of Italian cuisine, including vocabulary". Or maybe just
knowledge of anatomy; might be problematic if you are using the same knees (your own) to store knee-related
words from many different languages. (I still store my anatomy words visually, since bodies are generally corporeal
stuff.)

Iversen wrote:
You raise an interesting question: why can you remember an new word from a target language by
direct reference to a physical object, whereas you have trouble rembering it via a translation of the same word?

I am not sure, but it being easier to think the meaning first may be about starting with something familiar and
linking a new sound-code or print-code to it. The mind could be well-connected enough that a mind-map is a fair
representation, in which case you take your old map of the word "dream", for instance, and then you just write
"sueño" in a new bubble and draw a line… metaphorically speaking, of course. ;) I have no desire to map out my
whole mind or knowledge base like that, mostly because it'd have to stagnate during the mapping.
2 persons have voted this message useful

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4417 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 252 of 255
24 February 2014 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
And thanks for keeping the thread within reach for new members.

You raise an interesting question: why can you remember an new word from a target language by direct reference to a physical object, whereas you have trouble rembering it via a translation of the same word?

I haven't felt this effect as acutely as you apparently have done, but as many others I regularly use visual associations to remember things. The problem is of course that I can't make small drawings of all the words I try to learn through wordlists - in some cases because there simply isn't a simple way to draw a notion. So I write translations in my wordlists, but use every trick in the book to add other types of associations to the mix. And one of the reasons for my insistance on repetition shortly after the first memorization is that you then can draw on vague memories of your unwritten associations, whereas you have to form new associations from scratch if you leave that task to a time several years later. And reinforcing all your associations is an important part of longtime learning.

Thanks Iversen. I just wanted to share a little mental memory trick I used for one of my new words recently. The word was lento or lenta for slow in Spanish. I imagined the television host of the Tonight show here in the States, Jay Leno, walking slumped over and very slowly. However, on the side of his face, he has this huge "T" in red. Leno with a T equals Lento...slow. I told my wife this yesterday and she cracked up laughing. She is very happy to have learned both English and Spanish as a child.

Priluk91
Poland
Joined 3628 days ago

2 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Polish*

Message 253 of 255
24 April 2014 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
Hi guys. It's my first post here and I'd like to show you my way of learning new vocabulary. It's my own method, which I came up with some time ago, I haven't read the whole thread, so maybe there has been posted something similiar already, but anyway I think it's worth being mentioned and maybe it will help some of you, who struggle with learning new words.

It lets me get to know about 50 new vocabulary in about 20-30 minutes. So for me it's a really fast and effective method. After that I just do the reviews of all of them on the next a few days, but as I'm familiar with all the vocabulary it takes me like 2-3 minutes, so it doesn't take too much time and you don't have a chance to get bored. After that I do the SRS reviews in anki.

That's how it looks like. I use the Anki software for it.

1. I get the deck I want to study, then I take 50 cards (usually random ones, but it's up to you what you want to learn at first).

2. Then I separate these 50 cards into 5 smaller 10-card decks. I think you can use tags instead of creating new decks, I did so in the older version of anki, but I don't like the way the tags work now. Every deck has the option of the new cards per day set to 0 (I don't know how to change the language of Anki, so I'll be using my own translations for all the options. I'll try to be as much exact as I can).

3. I take the first deck, click the non standart learning button and choose the reviews according to card status and tag. Then I choose "every card in random order".

4. I just go through this deck a couple of times till I can recall every single card. After that I do it twice or so to make sure i remember them all. For words that are difficult fo me to remember I use mnemotechnics. They are pretty simple as I need them only for the beginning. After so many reviews the words just stick to my mind.

5. I do the same with all of the remaing 4 decks.

6. When I'm done with learning proccess I put all the cards into one new deck, so I have all the 50 cards in one place.

7. I do the review of all of them a few times (usually for the first time I have a problem with recalling up to 10 words, for the second or third time all my answers are correct).

8. After 20-30 minutes, as I said, I'm done with it. I take a break and I make a review after a few hours.

9. I make at least one review for a few days, then I just SRS them.
This way I can learn 50-100 words really fast, at least for me, and it doesn't take to much time. Probably I could do even more, but I'm too lazy for that and I don't want reviews when SRSing to kill me. The reviews on the next days take only a few minutes so it's not so time consuming (I use mobile Anki application so I can do them when having a break at the university, sitting on a bus or when I just can't fall asleep).

PS. My English is far from being the best, so sorry for all the mistakes I made.
3 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6668 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 254 of 255
24 April 2014 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
It reminds me of Learn 600 words a week (a topic which started in October 2007 - wow, that was a long time ago!).
3 persons have voted this message useful

Priluk91
Poland
Joined 3628 days ago

2 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Polish*

Message 255 of 255
25 April 2014 at 2:08am | IP Logged 
Yes, it seems to follow the same scheme. Thanks for the link to the thread.

This discussion contains 255 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version