SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6696 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 21
04 April 2007 at 1:11pm | IP Logged 
I continue my series about my language studies...

In -98 I took Russian at a the university but dropped out by the end of the first semester.

A year ago I decided to give at chance again. I was super-motivated, had a lot of spare time, so I applied for the Russian course (virtual classroom, part-time). During the summer I went through the first volume of Pimsleur, and as the course had started I focused on those lessons and listened to the next two volumes of Pimsleur when there was time (I finished the third around New Year's Eve).

Obvious goals:
University lessons. At the moment we read "real" material, literature slightly adapted to our level. I think there are eight short stories which we also have on audio (a good shadowing exercise!). It's a really hard job translating everything into good Swedish, and for that matter understanding them at all! ;)
---
I have a VCD with common phrases, recorded somewhere in Russia (with not so good actors, but what the heck...). They're a good complement to the other material which we've already finished.
---
If I have time:
Reviewing that book. (which is written in Danish, by the way!)
Grammar - Russian in Exercises
Reading other text-books I can come across. Right now I use Trojka, a course written in Swedish for high school students - it's quite new, 2001). Other options at hand are Vardagsryska (Everyday Russian), Russian for Beginners, Russian as we speak it, Learn Russian...
---
Literature - I have some other adapted texts by Chekhov and Charms.
---
Have a look at the library, I think it has ONE Easy Reader, level A (500 words).

This will serve as an introduction. I won't write each time I finish a new lesson... :)

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 04 April 2007 at 4:34pm

1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6696 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 21
07 May 2007 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
About two weeks ago we had the final exam:
1 Translation of excerpts (from the above mentioned adapted texts) into good Swedish.
2 Grammar part; verb conjugation, "case identification", aspects and much more.

I passed the grammar part but have to do the translation again (in a month), obviously other excerpts from the texts (of which there are eight). With good motivation, a decent dictionary+grammar, and a good portion of luck I will hopefully pass this time.

HazarRrd
Hexaglot
Groupie
United States
twitter.com/Armadill
Joined 6507 days ago

52 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, SpanishB1, Russian*, Portuguese, French, Italian
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 3 of 21
19 May 2007 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
Jeff, do you also try to sort of "dive in the language and culture"? I mean, other than studying the books, do you use the recommendations from this website?Like listening to the music, using Russian online resources(Like LiveJournal which is incredibly popular in Russia), reading the news online, whatching videos on youtube(but i would recomment www.rutube.ru), do you do that as well or you just read the textbook?

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6696 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 21
19 May 2007 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
Not at the moment, at least not as much as I want to (or should). Since the most important thing for me (right now) is to know the texts inside out, I have to focus on that. That will change in a few weeks, and I will definitely do other stuff to improve my Russian.

HazarRrd
Hexaglot
Groupie
United States
twitter.com/Armadill
Joined 6507 days ago

52 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, SpanishB1, Russian*, Portuguese, French, Italian
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 5 of 21
22 May 2007 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
I understand, but I would definitely recommend to get acquainted with the culture, because in that case it's goin to be easier to learn, read, and comprehend grammar and texts. What texts are you reading by the way?

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6696 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 21
23 May 2007 at 4:17am | IP Logged 
I'm still at beginner level in Russian, and the texts we read are Косточка, Визирь Абдул, Из воспоминаний идеалиста, Дачники, Вор, Смерть чиновника, Маленкая княгиня (from "War and peace") and Басня о луковке (from Brothers Karamazov).

I'm very well aware that "diving in" is good, but at this stage it would definitely confuse me as I my main priority must be to read and understand the texts.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6696 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 21
11 June 2007 at 12:12pm | IP Logged 
At last. I passed the exam from three days ago. No big deal, really, but it feels so good to have "finished" Russian. The university in my area doesn't have any more Russian to offer, but the studies have given me a good foundation. I (hope) I won't forget what I've learned, and it's my sincere wish that I will have the self-discipline to go on.

Jerrod
United States
Joined 6290 days ago

168 posts - 176 votes 
Studies: Russian, Spanish

Message 8 of 21
12 June 2007 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
Молодец!

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version