195 messages over 25 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 ... 24 25 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 81 of 195
10 April 2007 at 10:42am | IP Logged 
MeshGearFox wrote:
Well, I don't really like the sound of Basque, and I doubt I could get anywhere with Finnish in 6 weeks, so I guess it's down to Icelandic and Welsh.
Believe me, it IS possible to get pretty far with Finnish in 6 weeks. I think Icelandic and Welsh should be harder. Finnish is a very regular language.

I'm still not sure which language I'm taking, I almost decided to try Yiddish, but I'm not satisfied with the resourses I've found :( sure it's better than what's available for Karelian, but still..
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6251 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 82 of 195
10 April 2007 at 10:55am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi: Swahili
Patuco: Swedish, Swahili
Julie: Swedish, Portuguese, Dutch, other
Frisco: Turkish, Romanian, German
Jeff_lindgvist: Esperanto
Raincrowlee: Esperanto
Talairan: Swahili, Portuguese
Leosmith? (might participate)
Farley: Turkish
lady_skywalker: Persian
Journeyer? (might participate)
reineke: Japanese + Spanish
leosmith: Esperanto, French, Russian
Malcolm?
luke: German, Esperanto, French?
Lastminute: Haitian Creole
burntgorilla: Swedish
Andy Liu: Esperanto
aru-aru: Swedish, Dutch
Serpent: Yiddish, Esperanto, Icelandic, Greek, Indonesian, Turkish, Old Church Slavonic, Lithuanian, Welsh
MeshGearFox: Icelandic, Welsh
Asiafever: Japanese
Evanstar: Latin
Ari? (might participate)
Clintaroo: Indonesian, Korean
Pintbomb: Esperanto
Knarvil: Celtic language, other
sergiu: Turkish
shyopstv: Swedish
Declan1991: Icelandic
LorenzoGuapo: Dutch?
iieee: (might participate with Persian)
Vargas: Dutch, German

Sorted by language:
Esperanto: Reincrowlee, Andy Liu, Pintbomb, Jeff_lindqvist
Haitian Creole: Lastminute
Icelandic: Declan1991
Japanese: Asiafever, reineke
Latin: Evanstar
Persian: lady_skywalker
Spanish: reineke (not documenting)
Swahili: Sprachprofi
Swedish: Burntgorilla, shyopstv
Turkish: Farley, sergiu

Undecided as to the language:
Patuco: Swedish, Swahili
Julie: Swedish, Portuguese, Dutch, other
Frisco: Turkish, Romanian, German
Talairan: Swahili, Portuguese
leosmith: Esperanto, French, Russian
luke: German, Esperanto, French?
aru-aru: Swedish, Dutch
Serpent: Yiddish, Esperanto, Icelandic, Greek, Indonesian, Turkish, Old Church Slavonic, Lithuanian, Welsh
MeshGearFox: Icelandic, Welsh
Clintaroo: Indonesian, Korean
Knarvil: Celtic language, other
LorenzoGuapo: Dutch?
Vargas: Dutch, German

Haven't confirmed they are in or with what language:
Leosmith
Journeyer
Malcolm
Ari
iieee: Persian?

Ari is right in his interpretation of my original idea, though he's not right about my gender ;-) . I would like to see results like
- "If I follow this procedure and this course, I can probably learn language X pretty well in 6 weeks at 30min a day"
- "In order to get very good fluency in this little time before my next vacation, I should take course Y and supplement it with Z"
- "2 people learned a lot of vocabulary through method X, maybe it will work out great for me, too"
- "All learners of language A reported that it was much easier than they had thought."
- "One person said that he should have definitely devoted more time to feature Z of language B before learning a lot of conversation"

Because of different learning types and interference from previously-learned languages, these statements should all have a cautionary "probably" inserted - what works for one person or two needn't work for everybody. But it's a starting point. In order to get sound scientifically-relevant results we'd need a lot more people learning the same languages under strict conditions. Maybe after these 6 weeks others will follow and and do their own 6-week experiment, adding to the results. However, for now and for motivational purposes, I'd like everybody who can to start at the same time: Saturday 14th of April.

If you would like to start earlier, invest more or less time studying or otherwise deviate from the idea, that's still okay, but please note what you changed, so that others don't believe e. g. that they can become fluent in language C in just 21 hours when you were doing 24/7 immersion for 6 weeks.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 10 April 2007 at 12:00pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Vargas
United States
language-learning-ad
Joined 6461 days ago

13 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French, Esperanto, Dutch

Message 83 of 195
10 April 2007 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
Count me in. For the most part, I'll be sticking to that initial challenge - 30 minutes per day for 6 weeks, a language I have not studied before that should be easy for me.

Choosing the language is the tricky part. Like so many others here, I have dabbled in lots of languages, at the least just to get the 'feel' of them. So I've crossed off a few that way. There are also a few Romance languages on my target list that I want to avoid so I don't interfere with the Spanish and French I'm already studying.

So that narrows it down to Dutch or German. I know German grammar is a little tougher, but I have more materials to choose from in my library.

I love this 6 Week Challege idea. It's a great way to take our language skills and put them to the test.

1 person has voted this message useful

Declan1991
Tetraglot
Ireland
Joined 6220 days ago

233 posts - 359 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Irish, French

Message 84 of 195
10 April 2007 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:

If you would like to start earlier, invest more or less time studying or otherwise deviate from the idea, that's still okay, but please note what you changed, so that others don't believe e. g. that they can become fluent in language C in just 21 hours when you were doing 24/7 immersion for 6 weeks.

I will probably do a little less than three and a half hours a week, maybe closer to three or even two and a half.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6690 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 85 of 195
10 April 2007 at 11:45am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi, you can now write "Esperanto" next to my name (which by the way is spelled Lindqvist - with a q, not a g - :) ). I started yesterday, and have also done my 30 minutes today, but can either take a break for a week or just quit when my time is up.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6220 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 86 of 195
10 April 2007 at 12:09pm | IP Logged 
Count me in for Persian.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6331 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 87 of 195
10 April 2007 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
Dada Sprachprofi, will there be testing? (btw - you have me down twice)

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6363 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 88 of 195
10 April 2007 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Ari is right in his interpretation of my original idea, though he's not right about my gender ;-)

*Blushes* My sincere and humble apologies. I blame the anonymity of the Internet (and the fact that I know less than nothing of German, just in case your username is feminine).

With such a useful and interesting idea, and such a huge number of participants already signed up, I can resist no longer. I will study whatever language best serves the experiment. If you want as many as possible on a single language, I guess that's Esperanto. If you want a few focused groups, it's Japanese or Swedish. But I'm already studying Mandarin and as such know a bit of Kanji, and Swedish is my mother tongue, so that's out of the question.

As for methods, I'm not decided. I'm considering a classical approach, something like:
1: Study lots of vocab aided by SuperMemo.
2: Dive deep into grammatical issues by first reading through a grammar book, then trying to decipher texts, with the help of the book.
3: Practice listening comprehension.
4: Do chorusing and/or shadowing to get pronounciation right.

Is there a free frequency dictionary availible for Esperanto (seeing as there's not a huge body of literature, it might be unlikely)?

And honestly, do place me in whatever language you want. I love a challenge :) If a Portugese group starts to form and needs some backing, I'm in. And I've never been one to "flirt with languages", so I'm a newbie in anything I'm not currently speaking or studying (French and Mandarin).

This discussion contains 195 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version