United States
Joined 6870 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 137 of 195
16 April 2007 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
Sorry to say it but, I’m out of the game for a variety of reasons mostly to do with time and work. Turkish will have to wait until later.

Best of luck to everyone else.

John
2 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6328 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 138 of 195
16 April 2007 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
I broke a shoulder bone in bicycle accident. Not really related to language learning, but that's my excuse for chickening out:)

ps - if you live in a country where people drive on the right side, then please stay to the right, not only when you drive, but even when you walk into a blind corner, and especially when you ride your bicycle on a bike path
1 person has voted this message useful

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6924 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 139 of 195
17 April 2007 at 1:54am | IP Logged 
I wanted to make a similar experiment at the end of last year but, due to family complications, a very painful shoulder and a deadline for my new book on mathematics, I have let it slide.

These problems are now behind me and I am looking for a language I would like to learn and for conditions that suit me. I don't like the idea of some of the restrictions that have been suggested.

sergiu
Diglot
Romania
freewebs.com/invata_
Joined 6217 days ago

105 posts - 108 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, English
Studies: German

Message 140 of 195
17 April 2007 at 9:57am | IP Logged 
I bailed out too ,even before Farley ,mainly for two reasons:New Web Design classes .
I can't go to German knowing that I betrayed her with another language ,so the choice is to never leave my "wife" again.
Good luck to Frisco with Turkish -he's the only one left learning it

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6646 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 141 of 195
17 April 2007 at 10:18am | IP Logged 
I've toyed with the idea, too, but I was traveling when the dead line started, and it's now a few days into it, so I think I'm gonna sit this one out for the time being. The main reason, though, is because I'm in the middle of learning German. The semester here in Germany just started, and I've decided that this half of the school year I'm going to give the language some serious attention, since I can speak well enough to have intelligent conversations, but not with the fluency or the grammatical accuracy that I want yet.

Had I gone, though, I would have chosen Swahili. I have a grammar book I found at a website, I have audio files, and I would have used an online dictionary along with BBC and Wikipedia articles, as well as online radio. I just don't feel good about starting a new language while I've just decided to be lingo-monogomous and go for broke with German before my exchange year ends in July.

But I wish all of you the best of luck, especially the Swahili and Esperanto (my second choice) learners. If there is a round two, I'd love to participate.

Frisco
Triglot
United States
Joined 6634 days ago

380 posts - 398 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Italian, Turkish, Mandarin

Message 142 of 195
17 April 2007 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
sergiu wrote:

You cowards! How dare you abandon me! *Throws a Turkish suffix at you*

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6217 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 143 of 195
18 April 2007 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
Frisco wrote:
sergiu wrote:

You cowards! How dare you abandon me! *Throws a Turkish suffix at you*

Haha. I'm doing Persian for the challenge, but I'm picking up some Turkish at the place I usually eat lunch, so you're not 100% abandoned.

MissMyChris
United States
Joined 6216 days ago

17 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 144 of 195
18 April 2007 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
Oh, my. Another dropout here. Lately, I have gone through a lack-of-interest stage with my language learning (actually, with everything else, too), and this challenge got me excited again about language study. I have decided that learning Danish would not be the most productive use of my time right now, though.

Instead, I will be focusing on Spanish vocabulary the next six weeks. My biggest problem in language learning on a serious level is not having the "right words" for what I want to say. I am planning to focus on 50 words per day for the next six weeks, in lieu of studying Danish.

So, I'm dropping out of this six week challenge, but creating my own. I wish all of you good progress in your studies!
~MMC

This discussion contains 195 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version