SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6694 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 195
06 April 2007 at 10:27am | IP Logged 
For Esperanto there is this Lernu which I think has been mentioned before. It has a study plan, lessons, mp3 files, forum et.c.
1 person has voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6653 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 18 of 195
06 April 2007 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
I would love to join in this experiment, I'm definitely a polyglot crazy enough to do it, as you suggested. :-)

My thing is though, since I'm studying in Germany and have already been really been workking hard at that, I don't feel I should focus on another language for the time being. I feel kinda bad about that, but I don't think I should deviate from German...Sometimes I feel guilty if I'm even reading a book in English.

I considered studying Swahili here, but I'd need a good dictionary (the only thing from the my materials I'm lacking, except for native speakers). But I never followed through with what I had.

I suppose I could get grammars and dictionaries at the school library, if they even let me check them out, they might just be for reference in the library, but the then the first of wanting to get a better grasp of German while I'm here comes up again.

For the past (approximately) 6 weeks, however, I have been doing a lot of grammar and vocab study on my own, and I suppose I could talk about that...

Edited by Journeyer on 06 April 2007 at 12:16pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6255 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 19 of 195
06 April 2007 at 1:24pm | IP Logged 
Okay, so here's the updated list of participants:
Sprachprofi: Indonesian, Swedish, Swahili, Portuguese, Russian, other
Patuco: Swedish, Swahili
Julie: Swedish, Portuguese, Dutch, other
Frisco: ?
Jeff_lindgvist: Esperanto, Portuguese, other
Raincrowlee: Esperanto
Talairan: Swahili, Portuguese
Leosmith? (might participate)
Farley: Turkish
lady_skywalker: Persian
andee: Japanese
Journeyer? (might participate)

If you're unsure what material to use for Esperanto, I reviewed a lot of free options at http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=5406&PN=1&TPN=3#50351

For Swahili I can definitely recommend the free online course by the university of Georgia, which even features video.

I have a big file of free online courses that rival commercial ones, so if you're looking for material for a specific language, just tell me.

Talairan: I don't think that everybody should use the same course, e. g. FSI, since that would mean everybody would be essentially using the same method. The idea of this experiment is also to see whether other methods can compete with FSI in efficiency or even leave it far behind. Everybody should use the method that he knows works best for him or a method he wants to test.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 06 April 2007 at 1:26pm

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6232 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 20 of 195
06 April 2007 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
I'll be the first to say bah humbug, you can't get usable data from this. I'm interested in either Japanese or Spanish. I'll decide when you give it a go. BTW, for free, legal, downloadable FSI courses look here

http://www.fsi-language-courses.com/

leosmith
United States
Joined 6335 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 21 of 195
06 April 2007 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:

Sprachprofi, are you really going after 5+ new languages at the same time, or are you just trying to decide?

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6255 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 22 of 195
06 April 2007 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
Sprachprofi wrote:

Sprachprofi, are you really going after 5+ new languages at the same time, or are you just trying to decide?

No, those are just the languages I would do. I will choose one of them for this experiment based on how groups look - I believe experiences will be more comparable if several people study the same language over this time. The commas in other people's listings are meant the same way, they are hesitating between languages or ready to do either.

Reineke, this experiment will not be scientific, but I do believe it will give us new insights.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6335 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 23 of 195
06 April 2007 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
Ok. Put me down for Esperanto, French or Russian.
edit: when do we start?

Edited by leosmith on 06 April 2007 at 2:48pm

Malcolm
Triglot
Retired Moderator
Korea, South
Joined 7100 days ago

500 posts - 515 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Korean
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 24 of 195
06 April 2007 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
This sounds like fun. If enough people decide to participate, and if there are enough people studying the same language (say, 10 or more), then I will also participate. I will have to wait until April 13th though (the due date of my final paper).

This discussion contains 195 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version